Discussion Thread: Sri Lanka in South Africa 2016-17

29 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 53 min ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3370
Loss as expected but worrying signs

The loss was always the most likely outcome and the first innings 110 only made it how big the margin would be. We can live with the result but the total inability to build a test innings is now a major issue. Almost all the top order batters played woeful shots to get out. Its like none of these guys have ever aheard of a chap called Sangakara let alone shared a dressing room with him! Even with Sanga and Mahela in the team, SL lost in SA but losing is one thing but being plain poor is another thing. The really bad news is the worse is yet to come in JHB, which is SA's fortress and usually nightmare for teams from Asia.

I can get past young batters like Mendis and De Silva struggling or being trigger happy (anyone recall what Aravinda was like in his early days) but I don't get why Chandi needs to be driving loosely outside the off or clipping a leg side half volley straight to mid wicket. Or why Dimuth would hit a half tracker outside off straight to points hands or why Kaushal isn't able to either leave or defend a harmless bat foot defense away from his stumps. If SA bowled unplayable deliveries (which they would have if we batter long enough) you can accept that, but we just threw it away and it was embarrassing.

Couple of positives and the main one is Lakmal. He has been simply awesome showing some real skills with the ball which is great to see. Also Kumara is a breath of fresh pair with plenty of pace of skills. disappointed with Pradeep who has done nothing all tour and really looks off color and badly needed to support the other two.

Lets also give some credit where its due. SA have been clinical although hardly challenged. If you look at Elgar and Cook, both reasonably boring batters from watch but awfully effective playing proper test cricket. Probably the best example is Philander. Hardly bowls over 135 KMH but lands the ball in the right place and presents the seam. Just goes to show you don't need to be 145 to be good, just bowl with proper control. As with someone like Cook, no flamboyant cover drives or silly upper cuts in his armory, just plain effective technique with the correct attitude to build an innings.

User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Poor tactics

Mathews's poor tactics are hurting SL again. I don't why Mathews didn't give the new ball to Kumara. It seems like he has a personal issue with Kumara.

On the other hand his frustrated type of behavior put the whole team down. No energy and positiveness in his body language. Could not see he is backing up the bowler either. It seems like he has just let the game to progress.

Cannot imagine where SL cricket is heading to....

(Last edited by R Peterson on January 12, 2017 - 10:30)
My Team for the 1st T20I

My team for the 1st T20I

1) Dhananjaya de Silve
2) Niroshan Dickwella
3) Kusal Mendis
4) Dinesh Chandimal
5) Angelo Mathews
6) Danushka Gunathilaka
7) Asela Gunarathne
8) Sachith Pathirana
9) Nuwan Kulasekara
10)Isuru Udana
11)Suranga Lakmal

Danushka was unsuccessful as an opener in previous experiments. So, Let's give him chance in the middle order and see. Perhaps he may succeed as a middle order batsman.
Left arm fast bowler is a must for the team. So, Udana was included who has lots of bowling variations as well.

Its over!

It was going to be tough and it was worse! The 3-0 result was never in doubt but the manner of the loss was worrying. The batting was no where all series with poor technique and shot selection. There is actually nothing to say about the batting.

One would say the bowling was decent but on perfect bowling conditions, we couldn't knock over the SA openers in 5 times they batted with 2 century stands and 2 fifty stands for the opening wicket. I must say Lakmal bowled really well but the news of the tour is Kumara. Not sure why he wasn't given the new ball but we all know the captaincy issues.

Better teams have toured SA and lost badly so the result was never an issue but the total inability to compete was awfully disappointing.

Looking for something better in the limited overs series.

User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Runs: 184
my selection

These are my 15 players for test matches

Dhanushka gunathilake
Dilshan munaweera
Roshen Silva
Kusal Mendis
Dinesh Chandimal
Angelo Mathews
Dananjaya Silva
Rangana Herath
Dilruwan Perera
Dushmantha Chameera
Lahiru kumara
Wishva Fernando
Lakshan Sandakan
Jeffery Vandersay
Suranga Lakmal

(Last edited by Hit man on January 19, 2017 - 08:42)
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Runs: 124
MY SQUAD FOR TODAY'S MATCH

1.Dhananjaya de silva
2.Dickwella
3.Kusal Mendis
4.Seekkuge prasanna
5.Mathews
6.Thikshala
7.Asela gunarathna
8.pathirana
9.kulasekara
10.udana
11.lakmal

Don't give chandimal to chance.He is not a T20 player. dicwella can wiket keep for him.add another allrounder to the squad replacing usefulness him.
Give chances to Thilaksha.
DON'T ADD DHANUSHKA TO THE SIDE AS WELL.
This must be the batting order as well.
Prasanna need to come 2nd down position.otherwise it is not going to work sri lanka. he can blast the ball anytime.

(Last edited by Hamada on January 19, 2017 - 18:10)
User offline. Last seen 3 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 406
Re emphasizing.

Please selectors,
Chandimal is not a T20I batsman. Bring Munaweera to open or Milinda Siriwardene for middle order for injured Dhanushka.

If Munaweera is in,

Munaweera
Dhananjaya
Dikwella(WK)
Thishila/K.Mendis
Mathews
Prasanna
Sachith
Kulasekara
Sandakan
Lakmal
Pradeep

If Milinda is in,

Dhananjaya
Dikwella(WK)
Thishila/K. Mendis
Mathews
Milinda
Prasanna
Sachith
Kulasekara
Sandakan
Lakmal
Pradeep

Captain Strggling

Mathews destroyed the dream start made by Dhananjaya and Dickewella, by coming at #3. His struggle at that crucial situation put the whole team down. Although, the overs reduced SL should have gone with the usual batting line up.

Definitely, it should have been Kusal Mendis at #3. He is also aggressive and can hit boundaries. So, what did Mathews try to prove by promoting himself to #3. Mathews is known as a match finisher, so he could have fit into that role in this match.

Leaving Isuru Udana out is a bad decision. On the other hand, both Lakmal & Pradeep are test bowlers rather than T20 bowlers. It was proved in this match as well. But Udana can be identified more over as a T20 specialized bowler. So, hope Udana will play the next T20 match.

Captain stood up

Finally Mathews could play a type of inning that everyone was expecting through out this tour. Hope he will continue the momentum that he got from this inning through out rest of the tour. But unfortunately he got injured and according to him he will have to rest at least two weeks. It means he would lose few ODIs as well.

The mystery that Sandakan brought into the team worked really well. As I said in my earlier comment the left armer Isuru Udana is more over a T20 specialized bowler. He proved that and came up with three wickets in this 2nd T20I.

Finally happy moments as SL fans and hope the SL team will win the T20I series winning the 3rd T20I as well.

T20 series win

Great show by the lads to pull this series win, the first of any series wins in SA. When you put things in to perspective, this really is an awesome win for a young team missing the captain and vital player. Stars of the series are Dickwella, Kula and Sandakan. Dickwella batted well in all games while Kula us brought in his experience to perform under pressure at crucial times. Sandakan was good in both games he played. What a wild knock by Prassana in the final and ironically I thought both Prasana and Kula should not have been selected! Lets also not forget Anji in that must win second game and also his captaincy in that game.

Despite the win I am not convinced with our batting which is still looking unsettled and edgy. Shot selection is the issue with guys attempting some wild shots. We don't have the big hitters and granted we need boundaries but I feel we need to go about it in a more meaningful manner. Your never going to hit boundaries by swinging yourself off your feet!

Regardless, a series win in SA is a serious achievement and well done to the boys.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.