15 Players Who Scored 100 Centuries in First Class Cricket

6 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 492

Each of these 15 players have scored more than 100 centuries in 1st class cricket. Unbelievable! Isn't it?

Have a look!

User offline. Last seen 2 days 44 min ago. Offline
Runs: 3710
The trend of by gone era

The trend of by gone era players (as with doubles) continues when I thought current players play more cricket. We are constantly complaining about it and even in SL there is more cricket now than before so what is the go here?

Stormy, I am sorry I didn't

Stormy, I am sorry I didn't get your point. Can you pls rephrase it?

User offline. Last seen 2 days 44 min ago. Offline
Runs: 3710
As we saw with double

As we saw with double centurians where the older generation players had more doubles, we are seeing the same with centurians, where the older generation players are dominating. But we are playing more cricket now that in the old days - I presume, may be I am wrong. But if we are playing more cricket on seemingly flatter (covered) wickets, why aren't the modern players dominating this list.

Stormy, thanks for

Stormy, thanks for elaborating your point.

As per my understanding, the answer lies in the number of first class games played now and in the olden days. While the modern era cricketers are certainly playing a lot of cricket across various formats, when it comes to first class cricket, either there is less first class cricket being played today, or the players are playing less first class cricket compared to the olden days. But today's players (successful ones) are playing more Test cricket compared to players from the olden days. This is the reason they dominate the Test cricket record lists, be it bowling/batting/fielding.

(Last edited by CricketBuffOne on June 28, 2016 - 07:58)
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 31 min ago. Offline
Runs: 1214
Only some nations are playing

Only some nations are playing more Test cricket...others are obsessed with ODIs and T20s.
Interesting to see India has a 5 Test series coming up after a long time.

The preparations for Test cricket is not the same. Before in between series players would play first class cricket either at home or try get contracts overseas like County cricket in UK, in Australia etc.
Then when on tour they would play a lot more tour games before the series and in between Tests too.

The modern cricketer wants shortened tours, and time off to either holiday around with family or go off to play in T20 franchises.

delan, thanks for sharing

delan, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

While ODI & T20s are definitely on the rise, all nations are playing more Test cricket compared to 80s & 90s.

However, I agree earlier players used to play a lot more 1st class games at home/away. There were ample tour games scheduled for travelers, but now the ICCs packed calendar and a host of T20 leagues being played all over the world seldom allow that.

As for the cricketers spending time with family, I see nothing wrong in it. All of us want to be with family as much as possible. Playing in T20 games allows them to secure their future as cricketers shelf life is pretty short.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
2 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.