[Discussion Thread] Asia Cup, 2016

27 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 31 min ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3720
Thinking outside the box

Ok that was close but a win all the same and nice to see Malinga back on the park but he does tend to do this to weaker teams. More importantly changes at the top of the order and I reckons its a decent shot with Chandi at the top. The top 4 should be occupied by the best batters and Chandi was walking in the first over. I was surprised by Siri at 3 as he was doing well down the order but I will take anything that works right now.

User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Runs: 607
Experimenting with the lineup

Chandi opening seems to have worked fantastically, though UAE aren't the most testing bowling line up.
I'd like to see Kapu at 3 instead, he's not just the big hitter they want him to be and he's being wasted down the order; Matthews should really be swapped with him. Siriwardana also belongs down the order in the shorter format, I'd give Jayasuriya a chance further up the order. Shanaka didn't bowl which confuses me a little, and Dilshan's still a bit out of knick; he needs to not go so crazy with the extravagant shots when he's still not fully timing it, there were so many chances for him to get out to stupid risky shots

(Last edited by Sakala Bujang on February 25, 2016 - 13:52)
User offline. Last seen 14 hours 42 min ago. Offline
Runs: 5147
Sri Lanka will struggle

Whats wrong with this team? Most of these players not suited to T20 at the same time we don't have better than these. Dilshan is way out of form and I think its the starting point. Many will say he is the second highest scorer but If you have follow his recent international matches he is struggling to find the timing of his shots. If he can't find touch against UAE he will definitely struggle against others. That low striking rate created the pressure on next players. And the collapse starts again. Team need more logical batting order. Kapu should come at 3, Mathews, Milinda, Shanka. Malinga is struggling with his fitness and not sure how long he can go on playing in coming matches. But his performance still good to play. Team management need to manage him well. In the middle overs we need go for kill rather than entertain them. Also Due is a key in these games and Chameera struggled and Vandersay may struggle in these conditions. Finally we should not keep much hopes on coming matches. Asia cup and world cup is far far way from us at the moment.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Low totals are expected

This kind of low totals can be expected when the match finishers (like Milinda, Shanaka etc...) are asked to build up the inning and inning builders (like Kapugedera) are asked to finish the game. Except for the open batting, I don't agree with the batting order.

In the SL scorecard, I identify Dilshan as a selfish player. Wasted almost 5 overs to score just 27 runs even against a weaker bowling attack. May be Dilshan is not that much effective as he was in past. However, I like the approach that Chandimal made to this match as the opener. So, I look forward to a young batsman along with Chandimal to open the innings in T20 WC, preferably Kithuruwan, Dhanushka or Thirimanne.

Has Malinga come back strongly? Not sure. It should be decided by evaluating the way that he performs against quality batting line ups in India or Pakistan.

User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Runs: 514
Batting Order ? :-0

Hope the batting order was an experiment for the big games!

User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Runs: 514
Batting Order ? :-0

Hope the batting order was an experiment for the big games!

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
you threw away Thrimannna who

you threw away Thrimannna who played a match winning knock for his nation like garbage & you deserved to get punished like this . Karma this is Karma . SL selectors who runs SL cricket who thinks like some kids & blind fans deserved to get punished like this .

SL have lost their No1 ranking after that unjust act done to thiri , and now lost to Bangladesh for the first time . SL had won only one game away after thiri's exclusion and that also largely due to the bowlers . fans asking what's wrong with this team & SL cricket ? there's nothing wrong , how can you win when you are dropping match winners ? useless to talk about SL cricket if these blind selectors continues

(Last edited by SLCricket1 on February 28, 2016 - 13:04)
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Stick to a proper batting order

Changing the batting order regularly is the easiest self destruction button that a team can press. It is very difficult for batsmen to maintain the consistency when they had to play at different batting positions. Strong teams always stick to an exact batting order & best example is India.

Harsha Bhogle made one comment at the end of the match today. "Kapugedera is a good hitter but he came very late in the batting order. Preferably he should have come at no. 4". I thought Bhogle was spot on. Everyone knows what went wrong and that that is false batting order. But unfortunately our foolish team management keeps doing silly things to the batting order and the team is experiencing embarrassing defeats.

Another major reason is that SL's top 4 batsmen are not firing. Definitely SL need one or two explosive batsmen at the top when looking forward to the T20 world cup.

User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Runs: 188
Bring the thirimanne won't

Bring the thirimanne won't make any good . Already others playing test match in t20. I am not surprise we lose coz this Bangladeshi team is more settle than ours.on the other hand on these tracks won the toss and bat first then score something 140+ .then its your game to lose.

User offline. Last seen 14 hours 42 min ago. Offline
Runs: 5147
Sri Lanka isn't learning.

Everyone responsible but Mathews as a captain failed again. He let the hook off from the BD in the middle. Strike bowler is there to strike early but not after things gone out of hand. He created the pressure in the middle when batting. Problem is we have to have a free flowing batsmen at the top.Dilshan is a waste and on the ohther hand Chandimal is not capable of doing what Kusal did. May be Gunathilaka or Munaweera should do the job. Kulasekara isn't going to in this world cup as without assistance he is useless. Thissara Perera not worth even to comment about it. Sri Lanka deserve it. Beaten by the better team.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
5 + 15 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.