[Discussion Thread] Asia Cup, 2016

27 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 45 min 48 sec ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3718
We were ameturish

I am afraid that was a poor show and credit to Bangladesh, they were smart and played better cricket. Despite losing early wickets and dropping everything in the begining, Bangladesh were simply too good in the end. Shabir was brilliant with the bat to get them a decent score and just when it looked like we would change gears to cruise to a win, we selfdestructed in what is now a familiar trend. Its hard to blame one person for a win but Perera was just plain poor. He came in to bowl and let off the presure and did nothing with the bat. Troubling times ahead folks as this is now an awful trend of poor cricket from SL for a while.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Best Squad?

I can remember Sumathipala told at the press conference that this is the best T20 squad for the world cup. Yesterday we could see, how best is it.

I thought just few changes will make this team stronger than this for the T20 world cup.

1) Drop Dilshan and put an explosive open batsman along with Chandimal for a flying start. Preferably Kithuruwan who has done well as a top order batsman in past.
2) Keep two solid batsmen at #3 and #4 to build up the inning. Preferably Thirimanne and Kapugedera.
3) Then keep three match finishers at #5, #6 and #7. Preferably Mathews, Siriwardane and Shanaka.
4) Then go with four full-time bowlers to the match where 16 overs can be covered by them. As a result part timers have to bowl only 4 overs (Eg: 2 by Mathews and 2 by Siriwardane)

However, all up to the selection committee. Will they change the squad tomorrow?

User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Runs: 607
Shanaka?

Wondering if Dasun Shanaka's inclusion in the team is justified anymore? Don't get me wrong his pre Asia cup record is fantastic but he hasn't really played with any maturity. The run out was awful. Jayasuriya and Dilshan are on this list now too.

(Last edited by Sakala Bujang on March 1, 2016 - 10:53)
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
All the pressure on middle order

It was happy to see today SL went with the perfect batting order. This should be the batting order, if SL move forward with this team.

Again the poor top order put all the pressure on the middle order. Otherwise, even a total of 150 was very much possible. We can expect this kind of low totals, if SL move forward with this top order.

As news said today is the last day that the squad is allowed to change. So, my opinion is to drop Dilshan and Shehan and put Kithuruwan and Thirimanne in, if possible. Further, recall Shaminda Eranga, if Malinga is unlikely to recover soon because we have no other fast bowling option in the squad.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 4
If i were the selectors I'd

If i were the selectors I'd drop Shehan and Dickwella and replace with Thirimanne and Dananjaya de Silva. They need to realise that it is not about trying to hit every ball for 4 or 6 or in the air. These tracks require good cricket shots, rotating the strike regularly to apply pressure and hitting the bad balls away for runs.

Shehan is not a 3 at international level and his bowling isn't being used either. Dickwella serves no real purpose in the team so why not replace him with a back up batsman who has good form in T20s in Dananjaya de Silva. Dananjaya could sub in for Dilshan or Shanaka if their batting continues to fail.

And if Malinga isn't fit, send him home and bring Rajitha/ Eranga in.

My line up going forward would be:

Chandimal
Dilshan
Thirimanne
Kapugedera
Mathews
Siriwardena
Shanaka
Thisara Perera
Kulasekara
Chameera
Herath

If it is a spin friendly wicket, I would replace Shanaka with Senanayake

Another game another loss

Repeat of the previous game really. Another top order freeze, another sub-par batting performance, a few early blows with the ball and the opponent take control without much of a hassle. The only good thing about the last 3 games was we were competitive but once we start settling in for being competitive as opposed to winning, things have turned south folks.

I see calls to recall X and drop Y and why wasnt Z picked etc but the reality is none of these X,Y,Z would have won us the game. 90% of the guys who are going to win us a game are already on the park but they are simply not good enough.

Another game another loss...again!

More of the same I am afraid. Once again competitive at best but hardly in charge or match winning position. Yes we had a good opening stand, just like we had Bangladesh 2/2 in two overs but unlike in days gone by, other teams now just cruise past us while we fumble our way to being competitive. The question is how long are we going to have to put up with this before something fires and we start to make a difference on the park. Waiting for someone to do something special with the bat or ball and to get us fired. This is looking pedastrian but hardly threatening with flare.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
14 + 6 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.