[Discussion Thread] Australia in Sri Lanka 2016

30 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 58 min ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 8658

Discuss Australia's 2016 tour of Sri Lanka here.

Schedule

July 26-30: First Test, Pallekele
August 4-8: Second Test, Galle
August 13-17: Third Test, Colombo
August 21: First ODI, Colombo
August 24: Second ODI, Colombo
August 28: Third ODI, Dambulla
August 31: Fourth ODI, Dambulla
September 4: Fifth ODI, Kandy
September 6: First T20I, Kandy
September 9: Second T20I, Colombo

User offline. Last seen 11 hours 50 min ago. Offline
Runs: 1220
Interesting that Galle is not

Interesting that Galle is not first Test.

Tests first makes it more challenging to visiting team. Although given SL has just returned from UK a week/days before Australia arrive not much difference. SL been in shorter format mode too.

Overall Spread around the various ground which is good.

Important thing is to make sure all fit and available SL squad players go and play some sort of cricket ideally first class before the first Test also and not sit around relaxing!

Seems Hambantota is abandoned.

Anonymous (not verified)
sl squad for odis

sl squad for odis,

1.Kusal Janith
2.Dhanushka Gunathilaka
3.Kusal Mendis
4.Dinesh Chandimal
5.Anjelo Mathews
6.Upul Tharanga
7.T.M.Dilshan
8.Milinda Siriwardene
9.Dasun Shanaka
10.Dhanajaya de Silva
11.Jefferey Vandersay
12.Lakshan Sandakan
13.Dillruwan Perera/Sachithra Senanayake/Seekuge Prasanna/Ajantha Mendis/PHT Koushal
14.Lasith Malinga
15.Dushmantha Chameera

User offline. Last seen 3 days 10 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 3732
Full tour

Its great to have Australia on a full tour at home as the #1 ranked test team and world cup holders. Injuries again are a concern and what is going on with these injuries? Selections are better than in the past but the non-selection of Siriwardena is a concern for me.

We should have a spinning track and remember Pallekella has the ability to go dead after the 3rd day so will be interesting to see how the game pans out. I would also play Sandakan and probably the whole series as we desperately need a replacement for Herath who will one again be the key for us.

Looking for a change of fortunes at home.

JP
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Runs: 123
SL batting first. 3 frontline

SL batting first. 3 frontline spinners picked. Roshen Silva unlucky to miss out.

User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Runs: 485
First test

Sri Lanka won the first test against Australia and most importantly it is only the second test win by Sri Lanka against Australia. After 17 years Sri Lanka won a test match against Aussies and it is a welcome win for a side that is seeking confidence.

What on earth!!!

I don't believe it but the unthinkable has happened (yes again - recall Galle last year)! There is a lot of digest here. It looked like the usual case of losing the game in the first morning and it seemed to be on course in at the end of the second day but on the 3rd morning a new star was born in the form of Mendis. In the distance the new star had its own moon in the form of Sandakan. Yes its early days but is this the light at the end of the tunnel? Surely it is as both look exciting prospects but what about Mendis's knock. It was simply a once in a life time knock, the guy came in with SL still looking down the barrel and launched an attack that was simply awesome.

So much to like about this guy and we were even debating if he should be on the tour to England. Credit to selectors (lets give credit where its due folks). They picked this guy from obscurity and persisted with him and he produces what is surely one of the all time great knocks of test cricket - no one even got close to looking comfortable on a wicket Mendis simply brought the Aussie attack to his knees. The decisive sessions was the second session on day 3 in which we scored 130+ for the session - it was simply insane.

Sandakan also is a breath of fresh air. For a young chap learning the most difficult art in cricket this guy has a lot to get excited about. He has decent control from a leggie and get plenty of turn and has a couple of variations and lots to look forward to.

It's easy to forget Herath with the younger chaps around but what a champion he is. I thought his master stroked was getting Warner early in the second innnigs. It was a nothing ball that Warner did all the work to get himself out but the point was he was a key wicket and Herath delivered it.

Dhana de Silva was also colorful on his debut showing talent with both bat and ball. A bit lose with the bat for me but plenty of shots - you mean big goolies to open your test account with a 6 when your team has stepped on the banana skin. He has a well disguised top spinner too so something to look forward to here too. I couldn't work out why Siriwardena was dropped but certainly worth having a look at this chap. The irony is both Siri and Dhana could play in the same side if want to take wild punt and open with Kusal Perera!! Yes a major punt but worth a shot I reckon.

Well folks, finally there is a good feeling around and looking for the lads to do the job in Galle!

Manic fisrt day.

What a wild day of test cricket with 320 runs and 12 wickets and importantly SL still 200 to the good. I must say after winning the toss and getting to 180/3 it was all there for the taking and bossing the game but I felt SL threw it away with lose batting. Great stand by the two Kusals and what a combination these two could be in the future. Happy to see Kusal Perera given a chance up the order - both need to tighten the defense but that was a vital stand to get us out of early trouble...again. From all accounts there is turn and lots of it and will presumably get worse so runs on the board is cruitial but from where we were, another 50 runs would have made a huge difference. Aus still need to go out there and get it and Warner is out so looking for the SL spinners to come to the party tomorrow.

More hugely positive signs from Mendis and what a star this is guy is turning out to be. De Silva is showing signs of the old De Silva with lose defense and great shots but all in all good signs. I feel Aus the happier side after losing the toss but SL probably licking their lips waiting to get out there and see how it spins.

User offline. Last seen 15 hours 20 min ago. Offline
Runs: 520
Wow 21 wickets !

What a day! Good bowling and very poor batting from both sides.... but good to see SL closing on a great series win!... Disappointed by very little chatter on these forums when the team is doing well.... I think we had more comments when we were loosing in ENG.

User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Runs: 188
We cannot under estimate

We cannot under estimate them. And we must try to bowl out them within tommorow.my worry is about our batting.

Test cricket on drugs!

Well the first day wild but today was on steroids! Absolutely insane day of cricket and who would have thought SL would lead by 400, let alone have the Aussies 3 down in their second innings. They had no clue what so ever to what was going on in that wicket. We had some idea but played like we had little, attacking everything in sight, which thankfully paid off. Credit to the guys on this front and led by Anji who has been hell bent on attacking and the others have followed.

Herath magic continues but Dilruwan, who I called to be dropped, took 5 wickets and scores a vital 64 on the one day! Seriously how many times has that happened in one day of test cricket. Herath again vital runs with the bat to get that lead to 400. Dimuth has played 4 poor shots in a row and Kusal is not far behind. Kusal Perera has been a revelation at #3 firstly holding up his end and scoring quickly to build the advantage.

Dhana again got the all important 30 but again played a poor shot. He tried to paddle sweep to a full toss in the first - he needs to tighten his defense (along with the others) but he has got crucial runs in all 4 innings this series. He is more than a useful bowler and we need to get Siri in to the team to form a handy double act with both skills.

Besides a miracle, all points to a series win to be delivered tomorrow and hope the rain stays away and lads do the job and what a remarkable game and series it would be.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
6 + 13 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.