[Discussion Thread] Australia in Sri Lanka 2016

30 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 514
Great win!

Great win! Good team effort to nail it. History in the making.... Pathetic to see SLC president trying to claim all the credit for the win! on media....I would like to listen to Mathews or Perera on national tv rather than a bookie!

On a side note worried about side effects of this win!.... Perera is a marked man and will NOT be surprised if he is called by ICC.........

User offline. Last seen 19 hours 21 min ago. Offline
Runs: 3720
Aussies clueless!

Well well what a game and what a result and who saw this coming. Aus are so far away its hard to imagine this is the #1 team with the #1 batter and includes a guy with Bradman like numbers. Their spinners apparently aren't spinners and their batters apparently have no ability at all!

I was calling for Dilruwan to be dropped - the guy is man of the match and first SL to get a 10fer and score a fifty in the same test and fastest to 50 wickets!! Just puts things in to perspective for us arm chair pundits. Credit to the selectors and even more to Anji to keep bowling him early to the left handers in the top order. It would have been easy to throw the ball to mystery man Sandakan but it was a tactical move to keep the right arm offie at the lefties at the top of the order - and he got them both!

I thought Sandakan deserved more overs on the Galle track but not going to knit pick after this great win. What's more the fielding has raised a notch and Anji's aggressive intent has rubbed off on the team. This is a monstrous win folks and its time to give credit where its due starting with Anji.

We have been having ago at his defensive mindset and I guess he has just shown, given the opportunity, he can be a good captain which is probably why he was once the ICC captain of the year! His knocks in both innings were frenetic and almost careless, but paid off as it put off the Aussie spinners from getting a look in. He played awful shots to get out but not before he had done the damage and put the spinners off their game.

Credit to the selectors for sticking with Dilruwan despite a poor 1st test and throwing in Dhana who has scored crucial runs in all 4 innings. Sandakan goes without saying but they also stuck with Kusal Perera who could have been dropped as he didn't score a 100 every time he batted as has happened to others. I thought batting Kusal Perera (can we call this guy KP as there are two Kusal's)at #3 was a master stroke as it showed real intent to be aggressive. Would have been easy to keep Mendis at #3 after his scorcher in Pallekale but they made the call and KP delivered again played two awful shots to get out but did the damage.

When was the last time we went in to a 3rd test with the series secured? The Aussies are running to the hills and its time to bury them at the SSC. Looking for another turner but the SSC can aid seam if its wet and it had been raining in Colombo.

A word for Starc who was phenomenal on a non-conducive track. He got movement off the wicket and in the air you have to be highly skilled to do that. Others have done it but you are talking about the best. Recall Steyn, Waqar, Akram and Hadlee but not many have shown these skills on SL tracks.

Forum Discussions

I am amazed to see that we have only 12 posts at the end of the second test compared to 46 posts we had at the end of the second test during the ENG tour. It seems as if IC forum is a place to vent fan frustration at the captain and the team when they are loosing! What a shame! Could be a national trait where we always look at the negative rather than the positives. Thanks @Stormy for the long post on the turnaround, enjoyed reading it!....

Same Openers for 3rd Test

It looks as if the same openers will get another chance at SSC. Not sure how good this is. This may be the last opportunity they will get for a long time. As Australia has just realized with the selection of not-so-good players of spin for this tour I guess we should also go for that type of horses for courses approach where we have a pool of players and select them based on their suitability rather than just going with the same team based on the performance on all types of conditions. Any thoughts ?

Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Its not everyday one gets to whitewash the #1 team in the world and its the first in my lifetime and I watched all days of the first test in 1983 so this really is a once in a life time opportunity. Don't expect the Aussie to lie down and be walked over and they will come out all guns blazing but that is where the opportunity lay. Two key players are Warner and Starc and how well SL handle these two will be a decisive factor. Expecting Warner to come out swinging and we must hold our nerve.

While its hard to say much after two great wins, out batting has been overly hectic and bordering on careless. Yes lets be aggressive and attack the spinner but lets not give it away with careless shots. No not suggesting we start a stone wall session but looking for a decent batting display.

I expect no changes (yes I know the openers) but apparently Lakmal will play ahead of Vishwa who bowled 2 overs on his test debut! This is it folks, the hard work is already done with the series secured but we have a once in a lifetime chance to whitewash the number one team and looking for runs - the rest will take care of itself. Chandi has had a quiet series and looking for something from him along with the openers of course. Keeping Starc at bay up front will put huge pressure on Aussie attack and its time for the openers to repay the faith.

Unless there is rain, it looks like a result wicket so all set for another result game.

User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Runs: 485
SL One Day Squad

Malinga and Chameera are still not available. Aren't they?

(Last edited by Kanishka on August 13, 2016 - 08:05)
Another crazy day of test cricket!

What is going on here folks, opportunity of a lifetime and we are 26/5 in the first hour! Again lose batting to gift 5 wickets and the all important advantage in the first hour before yet another awesome come back and what a comeback this was. Dhana played an innings of a life time to get on par at the end of the day and Chandi played probably his most responsible innings with a wall like defense. Not sure what to make of the wicket after a stand of 187, if it's a 275 or 400 wicket or, going by series thus far, we already have enough. Regardless SL the happier team at 200+ but still not out of the woods which I would imagine is 275-300.

In three test SL have discovered two gems it seems and begs the question why weren't this guys tried before. Dhana is a more than useful bowler and can open and his calmness in what was nothing short of a total crisis was amazing. The guys stroke play is silky with amazing timing but the most important thing is he has been coming in under pressure all series and making vital runs. He has made a string of 30's but kept getting out to lose shots but today he showed us what he is about and what an awesome knock.

Chandi was awesome too, just hunkered down and put up shutters and held up his end in a patient vigil which was the call of the day. Lots of credit for a care free stroke maker and an important element to have in the armory for Chandi.

SL have shown some real mettle this series and the trend continues but still work to be done. The new call is only 10 overs and an early wicket could see us still making a sub-300 score which could dodgy. Yes I know Aus are yet to make 200 in the series but I assume they make a mark somewhere and looking for 300 which is still along way off and one of these two has to bat to lunch one would imagine.

Sanity returns to series.

After a string of mind blowing sessions in the series thus far including yesterday, sanity returned with a normal days cricket and SL the happier team still 200+ ahead. Looking at the wicket now, this is a 400 wicket and we did well to get to 355 and vital runs by Dilruwan and Herath (what a legend with the bat this guy is) with Chandi. Aus finally arrived with a bat in the series and looked relatively comfortable after tea. Warner showed the pressure was on in the interviews leading to the test and batted like it and paid the price but Marsh and Smith look well set with no real demons in the wicket. Not a surprise given the two centuries in the game already, its just we batter so poorly in the first hour.

I thought Sanda was under bowled and lots of work for both teams tomorrow. Aus's batting is questionable, after Voges its Mitch Marsh so need a couple of wickets to get a look it. Big day tomorrow for Aus and if they don't take the initiative tomorrow, they will be batting last to save a white wash. Looking for our spinners to come in to the game tomorrow and put the pressure on the Aussie batting.

Another gripping day of test cricket

A great fight by the Aussies to get to 267/1 but SL the happier team at the end of the day but the test is still anyone's and both teams with work to do to boss the game. This has been a test of single partnerships surrounded by mighty collapses. SL did really well to get back in to the game and now have a chance to bat well tomorrow and put the Aussies under pressure again. Will be interesting to see if the SL's continue with their aggressive attacking batting and see no reason why I guess. I presume the wicket will get tougher to bat on so anything near 200 would be a good position to be in.

Word for Kusal's keeping, the stumping's were brilliant and what about Herath - the man is a living legend and keep having an impact on the game. Aus will come out all guns blazing looking to get through SL with a maximum of 150 to chase I reckon. The good thing is the openers are there and surely on their last legs but real opportunity to make an impact with a meaningful knock.

Aus has been all about Starc and I guess playing him well will be the key. The ball is new and the openers are in so all set for another day of gripping cricket.

Declare!

Its better to go for a win and lose than delay the declaration and bat out the opposition for a draw - especially when the series is won. I would imagine we would declare overnight rather than waste time with Lakmal at the wicket. Also with 90 overs in the day, a second new ball will be available for 10 over if required so time to declare folks. We should have let the Aussies have 4 over tonight in my opinion.

Boys done the job and what a knock by Silva! Under pressure with stiches to pull out that knock is just perfect. The two Kusals also played key roles in being aggressive and keeping the score board ticking at a vital time of the innings. Yes they got out but it was a high risk strategy which of course has its pitfalls. Another vital knock by Chandi again and what about Dhana - runs again and vital runs.

We could not ask to be in a better position and we must put the Aussies in and back ourselves to bowl them out. If they are good enough to get the runs so be it but I don't see the point in wasting time tomorrow morning. The Aussies being Aussies will come out guns blazing but can they get away with it on a 5th days SSC? I don't think so lets go for it and the chance for a whitewash.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
8 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.