[Discussion Thread] Australia in Sri Lanka 2016

30 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 1 day 20 hours ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3710
Total anhialation of the Aussies!

They didn't last two sessions in the end it was a case of lambs to the slaughter. What a show by the lads and how good is Herath. They seemed to be going ok and this happens in SL, where all seems well and from no where, you are knocked silly. What a great game that went the distance, 5 centurions, wickets for spinners and pace bowlers, basically it was hard conditions and you had to be good enough to prosper which SL were and Aussies were just plan poor. They just had no idea how to play spin bowling and here I was calling for an overnight declaration!

Concludes what is possibly SL's greatest ever series and honestly how many teams have beaten the #1 team 3-nil this convincingly. We were 117 all out on the first morning of the test and Aus still weren't able to do the job. Even at the SSC we were 26/6 in the first hour - how does a team win test matches from such positions? It's credit to the boys and in both instances two young players in Kusal and Dhananjaya played game defining innings full of flair and free stroke making on a wicket others were able to graft at best.

How good is Ranga and he made runs too and critical runs through the series. Absolute joy to watch this guy in action and he will get you with pure guile. Lots of hero's and so much to look forward and some important points in the ICC ladder which is important with all that is going on around.

I was a kid when SL played its first test all those years ago and this is surely one of our greatest achievements without a shadow of a doubt. Make even more commendable given that just weeks ago it was all doom and gloom with no where to go and now we thrash the #1 team silly. Well done boys, the good feeling is back and looking for more of the same in the one dayers.

These are the reigning world champs so what better chance than to repeat the dose and we can go through this whole business of beating the best team in the world all over again.

User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Runs: 514
History in the making

History in the making unfortunately did not get to see it as the decline was too quick after the long stand !.......... What a journey from zero to hero for Angies boys. Hope they will continue to work hard as i feel the Aussie batting was way to bad in these conditions! It is not going to be easy with others even at home..... ODIs can also be made into a cake walk if the conditions can be fixed!

Wake up call

So what happened in the 1st one dayer? We won the toss and batted first on a ripper of a turner and got a defendable target but couldn't knock over the Aussies as expected. It's a timely wake up call for anyone that had forgotten, these are the world champions but more importantly, we have had an issue in one day cricket for a long time now. The most blaring being the lack of runs. Teams are now chasing down 300 so we need to plan for the same.

Without the power hitters, flat tracks are our worst nightmare and we would much rather play on 250-275 tracks as opposed to 300+ tracks. Bottom line is we need a plan with the batting. We may still get up and win this series but the reality is, we will more often than not be faced with par 300 wickets.

The issue for me is in the top order and I don't believe we can have Dilshan, Mendis and Chandi in the top 4. These are all classical players taking up the valuable overs with the new ball and power play. Not suggesting these guys cannot bat but I don't believe we have play all 3 - may be 2. We also need some genuine hard hitters in the middle order and it is possible Siri and Dhana can do that but the jury is still out on them in this role. I know Dasun is not in the side but he is the kind of player we are looking for at #6/7 - a genuine hard hitter who can bowl a bit.

The good thing is there are still 4 games to go and I wouldn't be looking for wholesale changes at this stage but more tinkering. For example can we play Seekuge as a hitter who can bowl a bit? What about Dhanushka opening or at #3. Yes that would mean Mendis or Chandi would need to be dropped but like I said this is not about who can bat or not but getting the mix right. An obvious choice would be to swap Dilshan for Dhanushka but I presume Dilshan will play the series.

That's more like it.

Great come back from the lads and its hard to imagine its our first win this year against a test playing nation! Runs up the order and quickly is the key and it finally arrived from Mendis and Chandi. Also importantly some decent hitting at the end by Anji and Kusal. Aponso looked really good and showed good control for a guy playing his second game.

Interesting move to send Kusal down the order and he did well. Worth noting we are pushing this guy up and down the order in all forms of cricket. In my mind he can be a lethal opener which should be first choice. Remember Sana didn't just come in and score tons of runs at the beginning but was left at the top to work his game out and Kusal deserves the same.

Tissera back in action with good performances two games in a row with both bat and ball. This guys is still young enough to play a major role for a long time if he can only show some consistency. He showed it all in this game, basically hit the first two balls for a 4 and 6 and knocked over the two key wickets in his first two overs. That is the value of him but man he just needs to cut out all out poor games in between.

What about Mendis folks? He is still effectively in his first season of international cricket and is turning out to be an absolute star. There is so much to like about his starting from his composure and technique. This guy can be a next big thing for us and could not come at a better time than right now.

20 runs short....again!

Disappointing but consistent story SL in that game with no enough runs. We won a good toss on a beautiful flat track but just couldn't get going and in the end it was a 250 wicket. It was spinning big time towards the end and was a decent contest but Aus had it covered.

Chandi played a another patient knock but no one hung around with him to make it count. We are having an openers nightmare with Starc in all formats this series - he just keeps knocking one over early every time. It was going well but suddenly we got stuck and lost Dilshan and then never really got going.

Tough ask now to win the next two for the series. Think we are not getting the most out of Kusal Perera and Dhananjaya who should be both sent up the order. This is what we did with Chandi in the past - sending him at 6 with a lot of work to do. With Dilshans spot it offers an opportunity for one of these two at the top if not both.

Interesting tactics by Aus - just 3 fast bowlers, a decent medium pacer in Falkner and spinner. First time I have seen Zampa and I cannot believe Aus played Holland (?) in the test series ahead of this kid. The guy is 21 and can great control over his leggies and already has a gooly and straight one that we weren't really picking. He looks a great prospect for Aus.

User offline. Last seen 14 hours 38 min ago. Offline
Runs: 1214
Zampa and Aussie leggies

Yeah Zampa unlucky not to have toured for Tests but reason is his lack of control in Australian first class cricket where he has been spanked by mediocre players. Maybe a good season this summer and he will be in the side. He has certain come leaps and bounds after last BBL. Switch to Melbourne Stars made a huge difference.

Cameron Boyce is the other leggie the Aussie selectors were looking at. He has played a few international T20s.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aussie selectors used Fawad Ahmad for Indian tour.

(Last edited by delan82 on August 30, 2016 - 02:06)
We were no where when it mattered!

That was poor folks and it continues the trend in limited overs for the year. Once again won the all important toss on a placid track and chasing the game by the 5th over! Once again Mathews (like Chandi) forced to play the holding role with the hope for a blast at the end which never happens. The questions about limited overs cricket and the top order remains.

One positive was Dhana at the top who looked a breath of fresh air. I was surprised to see a young guy who hasn't played first class cricket thrown in against Starc. Nothing like a baptism of fire and happy to see a youngster in at the deep end and hopefully this is a good move that pays dividends in time to come - please lets not drop him after failing to make in impact in two game, especially when he is yet to play first class cricket. The plan should be to give him plenty of time to grow up really fast at international level. Not the ideal method but we have tried all other options so why not this.

Credit to the Australians who I thought had us covered on all fronts. They bowled really well despite not having the spin options and batted us out of the game by the 5th over. Basically the game was over in the 5th over of each innings.

Injury to Anji was a huge problem and we need to think about this as an injured Anji is a major disaster for us.

So where to from here? Lets keep the two openers for a start and may be try Kusal in Anji's spot. I would also play Sandakan - no point having him on the bench, best way to improve is game time.

Batting worries continue

Another shocking performance by the batters after finally getting a start. Just when SL were supposed to make an impression on the game, both openers played woeful shots to get out as did Chandi and it moment was gone and we never got out of the rut. Once again a great wicket to bat on and won the all important toss and didn't even get to 200. I think Warner showed how to bat, just put the head down and battle it out and cash in later. SL batters on too man occasions throw it away after getting starts. This has been our story for along long time which is why we have only won ONE 50 over game against a test nation this year and another humiliation series loss at home. Credit to Aus who can back strong after the test loss and our batters never game our spinners enough runs to work with.

I also don't get the team selections. We throw in a 19 year old who is yet to play first class cricket against Starn and drop him after one game. We go in a to dead rubber and bring in Tharanga and Lakmal when it should have been an opportunity to give a younger player a chance. What are we going to do when Anji comes back? Drop Upul, a career opener asked to bat in the middle order and most probably discarded after one game....again!

Just watching Eng, the venue for the next WC. It will be flat tracks for big hitting so our spin based attack that cannot win at home on spin based tracks will be toothless. The batting needs stroke makers, not Tharaga like traditional players. Chandi will always play the anchor role so the idea should be to find other players who can play the aggressive role.

Thoroughly disappointed by the team at this loss and the selection too. We have made so many changes to the team and the batting order when we had the ascendency going in to the series with a great chance to put pressure on the world champions but totally blew it.

The max factor!

Well folks ever so often one is hit by the X factor player and today it was the wild Maxwell show. There are a few of them around and Aus have a few in Warner and Finch. These are the guys that fall in to the Chris Gayle basket who simply need to be gotten out before they impact the game. When they do, there is only one winner and today was one such day. The real issue is we desperately need a x factor player - it is simply a must have weapon in the armory of modern limited overs cricket.

There is another way....which is what we were where the performance of the team was bigger than the sum of players. That was when we had some seriously talented guy performing at their very best but right now we have issues. The numbers are scary for us since we won the T20 WC and desperately in need of a plan.

Maxed again!

Besides the alarming trend with our batting Maxwell was the difference again and what a knock it was. He simply blew us away before we could know what happened. It was probably a 150 wicket and again the batting fumbled along to a below par 140. It's been the story of the whole tour including the tests and the one limited overs game we won. In the tests, the Australians simply couldn't hide from our spinner but in the limited overs game, they had enough to get the job done.

The selections are always a colorful conversation with SL and the question again is why didn't we play any of the younger spinners? Seeing Australia play a 21 year old leggie while we are playing Senenayeka - seriously what are expecting from this guy? He has lost his effectiveness and we keep playing him while younger options sit on the bench.

The bottom line is we lost because we cannot bat! I cannot understand what is going on here. We keep winning important the toss in home conditions and are struggling within the first hour in all forms of the game. Add to that the bowling is only effective if there is spin and a lot of it so we need to sort out these issues fast.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
1 + 3 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.