[Discussion Thread] England in Sri Lanka 2014

167 replies [Last post]
cricketlover (not verified)
i think Batsmen - munaweera,

i think Batsmen - munaweera, gunathilake, priyanjana (all those batters are among the runs at the moment.)

Fast bowlers- anuk, binura, vishwa (all these players are left armers. malinga,lakmal,dammika,eranga, all are right armers.)

spinners- lakshan,malinda,tharindu (all of them are wicket takers.)
another considerations for the surod's squad.

User offline. Last seen 5 hours 5 min ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 1215
@Dfn It's not always as

@Dfn It's not always as straight forward playing at Dambulla as many think. Dambulla does not belong to SLC!

User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1290
Forecasting Sri Lanka team sheet for the World Cup now .....

Seems to be Sri Lanka has decided to bat Mahela at no 4 and Thirimanne at no 6 and they both have performed up to expectation. If they wanted Mahela to open then they should have definitely try that strategy in the at least last two games against India.

So now we have the following combination ATM unless it is gone so wild and Sri Lanka have decided to open with Mahela. But these could change when the WC is nearby depending on players form

Dilshan
Kusal/Tharanga
Sangakkara
Mahela
Anjelo
Thirimanne
Thisara
Sachitra
Herath
Eranga
Malinga

We should only have one batting position to sort out. That is who should partner with Dilshan. Solutions are

Tharanga – High Probability
Kusal – High Probability

Other small probabilities are

Chandimal, Munaweera and Dickwella.

My favorite is Kusal he should come back to his usual form. Otherwise it will be a huge lost for Sri Lanka.

We should also consider about Kapugedara performance in Bangladesh. He is doing a great job in Bangladesh with bat and decent job in bowl too. So he can consider as batsman who can deliver some 4-5 overs in Aussie conditions. If he can do that we can use the following combination too. Look at the following team sheet

Kusal
Dilshan
Sangakakara
Mahela
Anjelo
Thirimanne
Kapugedara
Thisara
Sachitra
Herath
Malinga

This is a strong batting line up which has power hitters as well as solid players mix. Number 8 position Thisara Perera is coming. Definitely Malinga, Herath and Sachitra can bowl 30 overs. Remaining 20 overs can be filled by Thisara, Anjelo, Kapugedara and Dilshan. This also a worth to consider as it will be not a bad option especially if we could not find a quality seam bowler for the second position.

My squads for 1st practice match on 21st against England

Kusal Janith Perera
Upul Tharanga
Dinesh Chandimal
Lahiru Thirimanne
Kithuruwan Vithanage
Ashan Priyanjan
Thisara Perera
Ferveez Maharoof
Lakshan Rangika
Dusmantha Chameera
Vishwa Fernando
Tharindu Kausal
Dilshan Munaweera
Shaminda Eranga
Suranga Lakmal / Nuwan Kulasekara

User offline. Last seen 1 day 19 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 3712
Shake Chandi's cage

Ok I know this sounds a bit stupid but having invested so much in Chandi who doesnt seem to be able to buy a run in limited overs cricket, I reckon we should open with him! Yes I know it sounds crazy but we need to do something to get this guy back - he had a great tour to Aus a few years ago and if we can somehow get him back would be a great asset given he can keep wickets too.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Senanayake?

Does anyone know what is the progress of Senanayake? Don't know whether he has been permitted to bowl in international level or still subject to clearance.
Can he play this England series?

Sachitra status .....

Sachitra is going for his action clearance test in the end of the month. Sri Lanka cricket have to guarantee that his action is completely satisfy before the test. Otherwise if the test fails he will be banned for 1 year from International cricket. This is the reason it takes so much time. If every thing gone well we can hope he will play one or two matches at the end of the England series.

I forget that Munaweera is playing in Bangladesh Premier League. Since the opening positions is the current weak link in the SL batting line up then I will replace Dickwella or Dhanuska in place of Munaweera for the practice match.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Thank you

@ Surod. So hope Senanayake will play last few ODIs against England. Thank you for the information.

SL A squad for England against warm up match on 21 st

1 Ashan Priyanjan (Captain)
2 Kaushal Silva
3 Kusal Janith Perera
4 Niroshan Dickwella
5 Dinesh Chandimal
6 Thilina Kandamby
7 Kithruwan Vithanage
8 Jeevan Mendis
9 Dilruwan Perera
10 S A Lakshan Randika Sandakan
11 Ramith Rambukwella
12 Lahiru Gamage
13 Dushmantha Sameera
14 Vishva Fernando
15 Nisala Tharaka

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
disappointing to see that SLC

disappointing to see that SLC had dropped Danushka Gunathilaka from the A team , i thought that he could be our next opener in the team

(Last edited by SLCricket1 on November 19, 2014 - 10:15)

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
10 + 5 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.