[Discussion Thread] England in Sri Lanka 2014

167 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 1290
Domestic Premier League Results

I don't think Lakshan Rangika deserved to be given a run in the 7th and Final ODI on Tuesday. He is gone for plenty in the final two list A premier games that been played on 5th December and today.

5th December 6.4 overs 47/0
14th December 3 overs 39/0

In both of above matches other bowlers in that team bowl reasonably well. So I don't know whether pressure has been get in to him due to inclusion of national team. So it seems it is not a wise decision to give him a go. But if possible it will not be a bad decision to draft other mystery spinner Tharindu Kaushal in to the squad and give him a go. Because he bowl well in the past few matches.

But it is satisfying to see that Kusal Janith Perera seems to be slowly but surely regaining his form back in the domestic circuit.

13 December 78*(80) 7 fours and 3 sixes
14 December 44(56) Unfortunately has been Run Out when he is shaping well that include 5 fours and 1 six.

(Last edited by Surod on December 14, 2014 - 08:31)
User offline. Last seen 2 days 11 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 3732
Sanga - Mahela final show

Just realized the 7th one dayer will be the final time the Sanga-Mahela show will be performing in SL. What a partnership and sad to see it comming to an end so despite my previous suggesting to rest Sanga, I guess he must play.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Rest

Series has been won already by SL.

Considering the upcoming tough series in New Zealand, I think Mathews should be given a rest. Mathews is one of SL's key player and need to manage him properly among these matches until the world cup. Mathews played all five ODIs of the Indian tour as well. So he desperately need a rest now.

So Thirimanne will be the captain in the 7th ODI.

(Last edited by R Peterson on December 14, 2014 - 11:15)
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 40
@Surod so much for KJP's

@Surod so much for KJP's consistency eh :P hes back to ducks

User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Do not agree

After long time some good innings from Chandimal and Thisara. Hope they will continue this in New Zealand as well.

Mathews came at #4 today. Earlier team hesitated to put three senior batsmen at 1, 2, 3 positions. Now Mathews also comes at #4. Now all key batsmen come at no. 1, 2, 3 and 4 positions. I wonder whether it's a good strategy.
I think Mathews should stay at #5 position and someone like Thirimanne or Chandimal should come at #4. Since Chandimal has a better strike rate than Thirimanne, I think the better batting order may be; Thirimanne at #4, Mathews at #5 and Chandimal at #6.

(Last edited by R Peterson on December 16, 2014 - 12:02)
User offline. Last seen 2 days 11 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 3732
Good show

Well that's a comprehensive win to go with a comprehensive series win and much needed before the team leaves for the WC. Dilshan was simply brilliant as was Sanga but we know and expect this. Dissappointed that there was no one else (except for Mathews and Mahela at times) who put up the hand. Lakmal was a breath of fresh air in the last two games and showed plenty to get excited about ahead of the WC. Jeewan Mendis was a major let down I felt - didnt really have a say with either skill.

Great to see Thissera remind those that have forgotten just what he can do and yes he is not consistent but if not many do this on a consistent basis. Add to that he can get a few overs through as well. Chandi at long last has done something and about time and I just hope he continues to gain confidence and form ahead of the WC. These two were much needed knocks and surely is the front runner for the batting spot in the middle order.

Was kind of teary eyed wathcing the two great men say goodbye to the fans. What a pair, what sportsman, what role models and we will miss them so badly and thanks for the memories.

Siri Sirisena (not verified)
A good series win showing the

A good series win showing the resiliency of the team after the Indian fiasco. The team from England was always at sixes and sevens in the series. The loss of Anderson and Broad was offset by the loss of Malinga and Herath, so no excuses for England there.England will have quite a few problems to solve before the World Cup. Captaincy, opening batting combination, middle order batting, spin bowling, are just a few. Good luck to them!!

Sri Lanka won well, but, have problems. The opening batting partner for Dilshan is still in question, the opening bowlers, the spin combination, another all-rounder. Jeevan Mendis did not look the part. Prasanna is not International class. Dilruwan Perera is not there either. Thisara came to the party in the last game, but remains a paradox. He has match winning talents but is very inconsistent. I wish him success, but, a blazing fifty when the series is decided cannot be the only significant contribution from a player so talented. The fielding is still iffy. A very long tail is another issue.

The Sri Lankan team is again off on tour. Hopefully, the outstanding issues get sorted out before the World Cup. More importantly,Sanga, Mahela, Dilshan, Mathews, in particular, will escape injury. We have to wait on Malinga's fitness, and to some extent, that of Herath. Some work still to be done.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
6 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.