[Discussion Thread] England in Sri Lanka 2014

167 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 1290
Proposed squad for the England series

Chandimal, Priyanjan as well as Kusal is out of form but very nice to see Kusal have scored some runs in the practice match yesterday. Hope he will keep his form going. We all know how dangerous he could be if he can get his touch back. But same cannot say about Chandimal and Priyanjan.

In my squad I would give a chance to Kapugedara also in normal circumstances but Kapugedara is currently in Bangladesh and it is not wise decision to call him back when he is having a great tournament. If we want him to give a chance probably we could use the back end of the series.

@Robin Peterson - I agree with what you said Kithuruwan should have open in the first place instead of Kausal. If not Kithuruwan should have played instead of Kandamby in the practice match.

My proposed squad

Kusal Janith Perera
Thilakarathne Dilshan
Kumar Sangakkara
Mahela Jayawardena
Anjelo Mathews
Lahiru Thirimanne
Thisara Perera
Nuwan Kulasekara
Rangana Herath
Shaminda Eranga
Suranga Lakmal
Farveez Maharoof
Dinesh Chandimal
Seekuge Prassana
Kithuruwan Vithanage

In tomorrow practice match we should play Lakshan Rangika and see. If he perform then he could come instead of Seekuge in to the playing 11. Because I don't think except for Herath and Sachitra (We don't know how he perform after re-model action) Ajantha, Seekuge and Suraj will be effective spinners at all. Don't know the reason he hasn't given in the A side practice matches also. Are we planning him to include in the squad as a mystery spinner for the WC like Akila Dhananjaya did in 2012 T20 WC ???

But I have not seen Vishwa Fernando in action too much previously but yesterday it was very poor as his 1st over cost 24 runs (6 boundaries). He don't look express as some might thought and me too. He also injured himself in that match. So we may not see him tomorrow. Why can't we find new fast bowlers talent in Sri Lanka ???

Look at the current Australian team they are undoubtedly the best fast bowling line up currently. Look at the number of fast bowlers they have introduced to International cricket in last 3-4 years. They are playing every game with new fast bowlers with resting other but with equal success. Even other major fast bowling nations such as SA and England don't have such a bench strength as such with regard to fast bowling.

Some of the names of fast bowlers of Australia who have International experience and called at any moment for the national squad.

Michell Johnson, Shane Watson, Mitchell Marsh, James Faulkner, Moises Henriques, Josh Hazlewood, Kane Richardson, Nathan-Coulter-Nile, Peter Siddle, Ryan Harris, Doug Bollinger, Sean Abbot, Pat Cummins, James Pattinson, Ben Cutting, Michell Starc

(Last edited by Surod on November 22, 2014 - 17:41)
malindu (not verified)
I think SL is not allowed to

I think SL is not allowed to include sachithra in A side until his action is cleared by ICC. btw talking about actions i wonder why Rayadu's action was not reported. There were some rumours that he will be reported but no. It looks very dodgy. He also wears long sleeves. Any idea why this was not reported? Power of big 3 eh? cricket is no longer the fair game it used to be.

erako (not verified)
what was wrong with raydu's

what was wrong with raydu's action? There was no such issyes. Please don't bring up thongs that do not exist. SL have a their own problems to sort.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 5830
@erako, this is wat's wrong

@erako, this is wat's wrong :D))))))

Just in case

Just in case

Sri Lanka squad for 1st 3 ODI's against England

1. Angelo Mathews (Capt )
2. T.M Dilshan
3. Kusal Janith Perera
4. Kumar Sangakkara
5. Mahela Jayawardena
6. Lahiru Thirimanne
7. Jeevan Mendis
8. Thilina Kandamby
9. Rangana Herath
10. Dilruwan Perera
11. Ajantha Mendis
12. Shaminda Eranga
13. Dhammika Prasad
14. Thisara Perera
15. Lahiru Gamage

My Team for the 1st match from the available squad

Kusal Janith Perera
Thilakarathne Dilshan
Kumar Sangakkara
Mahela Jayawardena
Anjelo Mathews
Lahiru Thirimanne
Thisara Perera
Jeewan Mendis
Dhammika Prasad
Rangana Herath
Shaminda Eranga

What are your views about the playing XI and the selected squad for 1st 3 ODI's ? Like to know your interesting views regarding this ?

(Last edited by Surod on November 24, 2014 - 01:55)
Runs: 41208
01. Kusal Perera 02.

01. Kusal Perera
02. Dilshan
03. Sangakkara
04. Mahela
05. Mathews
06. Thirimanne
07. Dilruwan Perera
08. Thisara
09. Prasad
10. Herath
11. Eranga

User offline. Last seen 2 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 5830
Fine with the 14 players

Fine with the 14 players except Kandamby. Maharoof wud be been a better choice. Sanath put a lot faith in Kandamby since his playing days,can't understand why... Failure of Chandimal has not helped..

Sri Lankan selection

Batsman

Dropping Chandimal and Priyanjan is acceptable and giving Kusal yet another go is good and in this regard I completely agree with Sanath hence I thought he knows the potential of Kusal and if he find his form he will be a very valuable player during the WC. So it is important to give him every chance.

But dropping Chandimal and Priyanjan for bring in Kandamby is not acceptable. If Chandimal and Priyanjan drop they should have bring in KAPUGEDARA for sure. If he is still playing in Dhaka premier league and selectors thinking giving Kapugedara back end of the series after finishing Premier league then they should have give it to KITHURUWAN.

All-Rounders

Isn't Farveez Maharoof would have been a better choice than Jeewan Mendis thinking that world cup will be in down under ?????

Fast Bowlers

Significant exclusion is the dropping of Kulasekara. I don't know what to say here. But if I were the selector I would have choose Kulasekara ahead of Gamage. If Lakmal or Pradeep is fit dropping Kulasekara in place of either of them not bad. But Gamage also bowling at 123-130 which is Kulasekara pace is not accepetable for heavily build player like him. So giving experience player like Kulasekara another chance in place of Gamage I would choose.

Is new player like Dusmantha Chameera a better choice ahead of Gamage ?????

Spinners

How on earth Ajantha Mendis included another time in the squad. Do selectors thinking he will do 'MAGIC' once another time when he was horrible in the past few matches. Not only India if you remember England played very well him in the last series as well as World T20 match. South Africans too played well. Why can't selectors think that his magical days are over now. Why can't we try a mystery spinner like LAKSHAN RAGIKA in the team. If not giving Akila Dananjaya a chance instead of Ajantha. Are we planning to include a player like Lakshan Rangika as surprise weapon for the WC. Other than that I can't see any logical reason behind exclusion of Rangika and giving Ajantha Mendis and rest of spinners consecutive opportunities despite constant failures.

Dropping Seekuge is acceptable but do you think replacement of Dilruwan will work who also do not have any variation at all in his arm to threat the batsman as like Seekuge. Just bowling normal off spinners balls after ball.

User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 40
the team selection is good

the team selection is good not happy with the selectors decisions to drop tharanga.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
2 + 4 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.