[Discussion Thread] India in Sri Lanka 2015

58 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 23 hours 4 min ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3712
Good-day for SL but too damage

So day two, at Galle after winning the toss, we are 190 behind with 2 wickets down!!

I think India would have been looking to declare sometime tomorrow having batter SL totally out of the game. This could still be the case (batting SL outof the game) but somewhere deep inside, I am looking for a miracle knock or two to get us a lead of sorts by the end of tomorrow. We cant really catch a trick when you lose both openers for ducks when you are 190+ behind!

I thought the openers needed to give us a solid start to have any chance and thought lasted two overs so I guess that leaves Sanga as the last hope. Anji I am told is not a 100% and the rest as we already know are good for a few runs but certainly not anything substantial.

After sending out Thiri at #3 in the first innings, I was somewhat surprised to see us sending out Sanga ahead of Thirir with two overs to go. Presumably there is logic in this but I would consider sending in Chandi next. He has looked like he could do some damage all season but gets caught with the tail too often. Not much to lose so lets atleast try to make someothing out of nothing and see what happens.

User offline. Last seen 2 hours 56 min ago. Offline
Runs: 5143
Winning strategy

Once again our players failed against quality spin. It is very evident that our guys no longer considered to be strong against spin. We played well against England, even though we lost the New Zealand series we had our chance for winning there too. This proves what? We are better with pace and swing bowling. So our strategy could have been pace and seam friendly wickets. Once again Warnaweera gifted a wicket to opposition. Everyone knows that India is better playing against spin and have better spinners than ours. So I would blame to the coach and management.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 83
GALLE curator must be crazy or this is fixed.

Who on earth would make a square turning pitch from the very first ball. Guess, we lost wickets miserably to a rookie leg spinner during last series. India have got 3 very experienced spinners, so unless this is a very generous gesture to BCCI, who ever came up with this pitch must be absurd.

People try to put the blame on to the coach, what can he do here? If this is the quality of our batsmen I don't think even the best coach could do any differently.
Even though Marvans credentials to coach national team are very much questionable, this has nothing to do with Marvan. Our young batsmen can't play quality spin bowling and they are not as good as we boast.

YaKa (not verified)
niyamai....

niyamai.... match 3ma udinma paradinna one. loku inimak gahanna puluwan ekekuta inne sanga witharai. eyath giyama kauruth naa. FC cricket walath ehema ekek naaa. bowlers lath uparimai. ape test cricket walata aba saranai.....

User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
StaffTop Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 7127
Day 2, 1st Test - match report:
Hello Chandi!

Was looking for a miracle and it came and Chandi has answered the call surely. It was a wild sort of knock but at the end it was a phenominal innings. We were no where at lunch, infact miles behind with 5 down and Chandi was simply sensational. Thiri and Muba important knocks but 40's will never win you test matches but important knocks all the same.

Great come back from SL after bascially chasing the game from the first morning. India surely still favorites but work to do for them which they probably did not expect at any stage of this game till after tea today.

Wonder if SL would have taken a lead of 175 batting first at Galle on day one. I reckon they would have if it was a 5th day wicket. Regardless, Ashwin's got 10fer and Mishra has made an impact and we have two wicket taking spiners. The key is to attack and sincerely hope Anji doesnt even remotely consider defensive field placements. Attack from ball one is the call of the day and if India are good enough to get the target so be it. Remember India are a batter short and a few inexperienced batters - opportunity created thanks to Chandi's briliance but the key is to make it count.

User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 40
Lot of of positives can be

Lot of of positives can be taken from this first test match. I must say Chandi is finally becoming a player he was expected to be. Its important to note that he no longer has the added pressure of losing his place on the team, which allows him to play more freely. Perhaps we should change our mentality in how we choose our players for XI. I think dropping a player after a poor performance is the wrong thing to, rather they should be given continuous changes to prove their worth. I have been a big advocate for Upul, I am starting to realize is the he will be a included on a regular basis once sangakarra retires. Upul is an opener but why metal with our current opening partners when upul can play at 3. Thiri can slide in at 4 and the rest of the batting order stays in the same.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Finally did it

Definitely Chandimal's batting approach turned the game towards SL. He came at a crucial situation and his approach was to attack the bowlers & score runs quickly. If he wasted too many deliveries, SL could have ended up in a very small lead.

Unlike traditional test cricket, modern test cricket is almost about scoring runs. Not staying at the wicket for long time. In this match, Chandimal proved that he is a player who is perfectly fit for the modern test cricket.

Stop the clock!!

What an insane comeback from SL. There are comebacks, then there is Lazareous and then there is SL at Galle. What a legend is Herath, dropped in the last test, wicketless in the first innings and rips through India to win the test when it counts. I must say a SL win wasnt really in my mind other than a fantasy even on the 4th morning but what an absolutely sensational performance.

Not sure what happened to India but they looked shell shocked from the first over and rabbits in the headlight for the rest of the innings. All that talk about being aggressive was...well just talk! Huge presure on India now one would imagine and all credit to SL and Anji. The fielding was sensational on the last day as were the field placements but most of all - Herath was dynamite with classic old fashioned left armers.

Tharindu also had a great performance in the game with 8 wickets but most importantly he held his nerve and his end up without letting off the pressure while Herath spun his web. So after the dissappointment of the 3rd test against Pakistan, SL have bounced back in the best possible manner.

Elections done - time for important things

So here we go, 2nd test, at the best place on earth for fast bowling on the first day I am told (so much for spining tracks in SL) and on one of the most result oriented wickets in the world (so much for flat tracks in SL). Pradeep is injured after one test (standard for SL pace bowlers) and I presume its a straight swap for Chameera - India could be a bit unsure of this guy.

Despite all the indications of seam, we will play both spinners I presume and hopefully India will win the toss and bat given the aggressive approach they want to stick with. I presume there will be no changes to the batting line up despite only Chandi and Anji doing anything meaningfull in the first test! I would consider batting Chandi up the order but given he will have the gloves, I guess he will be stuck at 7 and left to fend with the tail.

This will be a good toss to lose and India are bound to bat if they win wanting to get on the front foot. India have some selections issues and the top order will be under pressure. They will probably play Buwaneshka Kumar for Harbajan and he will be handfull on this wicket (but indications are it will be Binny which will be a mistake).

Havent forgotten the great man and yes it will be sad farewell for one of the greats of the game and how fitting it would be if Sanga would have a telling impact and SL win the game.

SL have the advantage from the Galle heist and need to make it count in the form of pressure on India. The last thing we want is to let India in to this game early. Make the game a battle and hope they crack and some of the horrors from Galle have come with them.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
3 + 8 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.