[Discussion Thread] India in Sri Lanka 2015

58 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 1335
sigh ..nothing can decide

sigh ..nothing can decide from this series. all of the three matches has been destroyed by the umpires , keep on going this selfish cheat of opposing DRS India and kill this game , soon we might need to say " let's football " lol

User offline. Last seen 3 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 3732
De Ja Voo second test

SL are at the same juncture as the 2nd test with 3 down going in to the 5th having been batted out by India on the 4th. When it really counted, SL bowlers couldnt gain the advantage or keep the game open. Missed chances hurt as did crazy selections. Who goes in on a green top with 2 seamers? And you want to bowl first - WTF! Prasad and Pradeep have been great but nothing else to support and India took the advantage AND ONCE AGAIN - the India lower order made such a difference. Said yesterday, we need to attack this morning with a 3rd slip and Sharma's nick in the first hour went through 3rd slip - with that attitude were waiting for India to make a mess of things and good teams will more often than not, take advantage.

Come out bat on what looked like a wicket that was settling down and the need of the day was to survive the new ball and we were 2/2! 4th innings and SL are not a good thing (see Pakistan and SA at Galle or Sara last test) so I presume we will crumble and lose badly tomorrow. However, rain is on the cards so surviving a session or two could all that's required to save the test and for crying out aloud we need to save one of these test matches by batting properly on the 4th innings.

Anyone still in Tharanga's corner I hope you were watching what the rest of us have been saying. Its not his record or the hundreds he scored in the PAST that is the issue - he cannot handle a moving ball at the top of the order. In two innings he has edged 4 balls in the first over to slip and been out for a duck in both. Yes its only one test but one test too many given what we already know!

Runs: 1514
Plzz plzzz Stormy .....

Stormy plzz plzzz stop criticizing players and opinions who you don’t like always if you cannot see the players and opinions you supported also failed (This is what we called in Sinhalese Anunge age thiyena podi kalu pallama hari hodata penawa thamange age thiyana loku kalu pallama penne naa kiyala :P :P )

I cannot understand why u cannot see the FAILURES of DIMUTH KARUNARATHNA, KAUSHAL SILVA AND LAHIRU THIRIMANNE and start criticizing them also whom you have supported over and over again despite their continuous failures??
When at the end of the Pakistan series I asked a question should we drop the players like DIMUTH, KAUSHAL, UPUL, THIRIMANNE ? And your answer we should give another opportunity to players mention above in Indian series. So I hope you can PROUDLY say these players should play in the West Indies series as well because they have contributed immensely for the Indian series.

At the start of the first test match I asked another question should we drop Dimuth and Kaushal as openers? And your answer has been why they should be drop they are doing a decent job. I can see these players are doing a very decent job for Sri Lanka as you mention that’s why you can’t criticize these players.
I have never supported these pathetic players like Dimuth, Upul, Kaushal. But you have and they fail. But I still think Lahiru should be in the test team or should we give him a brake. These players have got lot of opportunities compared to players like Vithange whom I supported but fail in few occasions. Other than that I have never supported a player who is failing if you remember. This is why I think I have the ability to understand players who can be stars and be failures more than the others.

In my opinion we must drop players like DIMUTH KARUNARATHNA, KAUSHAL SILVA, UPUL THARANGA, JEHAM MUBARAK from the next WI series and include players like DHANANJAYA DE SILVA, ROSHEN SILVA, KITHURUWAN VITHANAGE in to the test team.

Stormy now I can see you are pointing out some decisions taken by Sri Lankan team. Have you forget these and majority of these decisions are taking by your SUPER HERO COACH MARVAN ATAPATTU whom you loved and supported to become Sri Lankan coach ?? Aren’t we are having a great year as Sri Lankan cricket team under your SUPER HERO COACH ATAPATTU for the past one year :D :D

Runs: 1514
My recommendation for WI series

DIMUTH KARUNARATHNA, KAUSHAL SILVA, UPUL THARANGA, JEHAN MUBARAK (Age also a huge factor to drop him) should be drop for WI series

DHANANJAYA DE SILVA, ROSHEN SILVA, KITHURUWAN VITHANAGE, CHAMARA KAPUGEDARA should be in

THIRIMANNE Should be rested.

I stay with what I have said and I take the responsibility and criticize if they fail too. Not like Stormy who always sees the failures of players who don't support and can't see the failures of players whom he is supporting !!!

(Last edited by Cricket StatsGuru on August 31, 2015 - 14:09)
User offline. Last seen 3 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 3732
Decent fight but India too good.

First things first and that is to say well played to India who were pretty much in control of the whole series except that one innings in Galle. When the decisive moments arrived India always seemed to have got on top while SL shot itself in the foot. Was a great series with no huge scores and spinners and seamers making an impact while the better batters managed to get a few hundreds. SL batting was woreful most series with the exception of Anji while Kusal and Chandi had two brilliant individual tests.

Even today, despite losing Kaushal and Thiri, Anji and Kusal had a brilliant second session to give a glimmer of hope of saving the test. Yes with all the hard work done and the critical new ball to negotiate Kusal gets out playing a reverse sweep of all shots - WTF!! There was even an outside of chance of negotiating the new ball and looking at the potential target but we never got there...again...when the moment arrived to make a statement we shot ourselves. Regardless both batted brilliantly.

Kusal showed us a new side of his game, in playing a responsible test inninngs as opposed to the first innings where he threw caution to the wind. I cannot beleive we have had this guy on the bench despite being in prime form in the A team before Pakistan arrived. Instead we preferred Tharanga, Mubarak and Kithruwan. Having talent is onething, nuturing is a quiet another thing and missed a trick here. He should have played the first test against Pak when he was in prime form. Hopefully we now have a #7 for a while.

Kaushal played yet another poor shot and for a guy who plays high percentage crickt this guy has played some really poor shots this season. Thiri - what can you say? Playing around his pads to a spinner. He was caught behind poking aimlessly in the first innings. Surely 6 home tests and nothing to show for it is curtains for him. We keep talking about inexpeirenced players but guys like Rahane have also played about the same amount of tests as Thiri and that guy averages in the high 40's with 4 hundreds overseas!.

Not sure what SL were thinking of playing 2 seamers on a green top. There were a few missed opportunities too and Mishra played a vital role in both the 2nd and 3rd tests. Besides the wickets, he got vital lower order runs when it mattered most in both tests and gave India control of the game as opposed to a small advantage.

Great sereis all the same and great wickets. So much for flat SL wickets and this is now 6 result test matches in a row. With both seamers and spinners making an impact the better batters making runs. No team scorerd 400 so great wickets and games but SL were simply not up to the mark.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
Well played India , well

Well played India , well played SL or well played umpires ? I'm still confused who to award this series win LOL

User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Emotional....

Being emotional is another reason for this defeat in the third test. Especially Chandimal was in a angry mode & he sacrificed his wicket unnecessarily.
May be batting order is also not the ideal one. Besides, if Sri Lanka had three fast bowlers, we could have attacked India more with the bowl.

Further, agree with SLCricket1 too. Umpires also played well for India.

y2k (not verified)
@all guys who bash Tharanga

@all guys who bash Tharanga on his two dismissals->

Since England tour 2014 (1) Silva 14 matches 785 r @ 28 (2) Dimuth 10 matches 697 r @ 35 (3) Thiri 12 matches 427 r @ 19 (4) Tharanga 6 matches 414 runs @ 34.5 Av.

But, Tharanga had played just 4 Tests in 2014 & had scored 86 vs SA & Series WINNING 45,92 vs Pk & was strangely dropped for NZ tour. Since then he was overlooked until last Test vs Pk in June 2015, where he scored 46 & 48 batting at number 3, to be dropped again for the first 2 tests vs India, preferring Thiri & Muba over him. this was despite scoring sparkling 50s in both tour matches.
My question is, can any player on earth regain their full flow, with such cruel interruptions imposed on, regularly?

Dimuth opened last 16 consecutive innings for SL. So WHY he was sheltered & asked Upul to open (in his one-off chance) on that lively greenish top never seen before in SL ?

The way this guy was treated throughout.... It certainly seems like a SETUP, just to eliminate Tharanga forever from international scene

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
7 + 3 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.