[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in Australia 2017

7 replies [Last post]
Runs: 4604

Discuss Sri Lanka's tour of Australia here.

Schedule

Feb 17 - 1st T20I - Melbourne Cricket Ground

Feb 19 - 2nd T20I - Simonds Stadium, South Geelong

Feb 22 - 3rd T20I - Adelaide Oval

What is the best team for this T20 series? Name your team.

Anonymous (not verified)
my team

1.Kusal Janith
2.Niroshana Dickwella
3.Dhanushka Gunathilaka
4.Anjelo Mathews
5.Chamara Kapugedera
6.Milinda Siriwardene
7.Shehan Jayasuriya/Dasun Shanaka
8.Seekuge Prasanna
9.Lasith Malinga
10.Lahiru Kumara
11.Lakshana Sandakan

User offline. Last seen 2 days 23 hours ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 488
Well due to recent news on

Well due to recent news on some players being dropped and Tharanga being made captain, i think the XI should be the following

Kusal Perera
Niroshan Dickwella
Upul Tharanga
Chamara Kapugedera
Dasun Shanaka
Shehan Jayasuriya
Seekuge Prassana
Lakshan Sandakan
Nuwan Pradeep
Lahiru Kumara
Lasith Malinga

User offline. Last seen 10 hours 54 min ago. Offline
Runs: 99
Sri Lanka Squad for

Sri Lanka Squad for Australian T20 series (considered Mathews and Malinga are not available for selection)

1. N Dickwella
2. U Tharanga (c)
3. K Mendis
4. MDKJ Perera (wk)
5. M Sriwardene
6. C Kapugedera
7. T Perera
8. S Prasanna
9. N Kulasekara
10. S Lakmal
11. L Sandakan

12. D Shanaka
13 L Kumara
14. S Weerakkody
15. T Thusara
16. K Vithanage

Upul Tharanga should be considered as an opening batsman as he can score well in the opening position than middle order. He should not be considered as middle order batsman. MDKJ Perera can bat at 4/6 according to the situation. D Chandimal and D de Silva should be rested/ dropped for this series. Then, new comers can get a chance. SL cricket always over come in Place of Milinda Sriwardene. He should be picked as he is doing really well in domestic circuit.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 10
My Team

1. N Dickwella (wk)
2. D Munaweera
3. K Mendis
4. U Tharanga (c)
5. M Sriwardene
6. C Kapugedera
7. D Shanaka
8. S Prasanna
9. N Kulasekara
10. L Kumara
11. L Sandakan

User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
My team according to the squad

01. Niroshan Dickwella
02. Upul Tharanga
03. Dilshan Munaweera
04. Kusal Mendis
05. Chamara Kapugedera
06. Milinda Siriwardane
07. Asela Gunaratne
08. Seekkuge Prasanna
09. Dasun Shanaka
10. Nuwan Kulasekara
11. Isuru Udana

I'm not going to change the open batting combination (Tharanga & Dickwella) who are playing so well at the moment. Put Munaweera at #3 to continue aggressive batting strategy of the two openers. Mendis & Kapugedera to take the inning forward at a rate in the middle period. Then the hitting power comes from #6 onwards.

I won't go for the specialized spinner, since Prasanna, Milinda and even Munaweera is there as spinning options.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Found a New Hero

Sri Lanka were 40/5 at one stage in this 2nd T20I. It was amazing the way that Asela built his innings along with rest of the batsmen. He started just rotating the strike and nicely accelerated in the end. He is definitely a talented player. But what made him a hero is the confidence he has which is hardly found in other young players. So, Asela is an on field role model for other young players.

However, I think now we have found a player to bat at #4 in limited over cricket for SL. That is Asela. He is a very much capable player to bat through the inning and hit big whenever required. He should definitely continue to bat at #4.

(Last edited by R Peterson on February 19, 2017 - 10:42)
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 25 min ago. Offline
Runs: 3720
What a show and Asela who!

Wow! What a performance and where did Asela come from? What a star and I thought he was lucky to make the squad. I thought he was more of a test and one day player but in 3 innings he has surely laid claim to the all important #4 batting spot in both forms of limited overs cricket. The man has a test century too so this guy flew under the radar and made a huge statement.

His innings last night is probably one of the all time great t20 knocks when you put it in to context that SL were 40/5 and were gone for all money. He also got a wicket and that's just yesterday. He was awesome in the first game too AND his previous innings was 100 against SA in the 50 over game. Man, where did this guy come from and surely he is in the team for a while now.

I was disappointed with the batting yesterday from the rest but all is well if it end well I guess. What about the old firm of Malinga and Kula with glimpses of their past glory. These two were instrumental in keeping a check on the Aus total in both games and great to see them back in the team. I must admit I assumed these two were done but here they are doing it all over again.

Didn't realize our t20 record in Aus - seriously who remains unbeaten in Aus!

With a second series secured overseas lots to look forward to but still a few things to work out. For example do we stick with Tharaga as an opener and captain when Anji is fit but this is a rare nice problem to think about for a change. Looking for a clean sweep in Adelaide.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
7 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.