[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in Bangladesh 2018

14 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
StaffTop Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 7127

Discuss Sri Lanka's tour of Bangladesh and the tri-series here.

Schedule for the triangular tournament in Bangladesh

12thman (not verified)
Probable

Probable 15

1.Tharanga
2.Dhanushka
3.Kusal M
4.Kusal P
5.Mathews
6.Dhananjaya D Silva
7.Asela G
8.Dickwella
9.Chandimal/Sadeera
10.Vandersay/Amila Aponso
11.Lakshan Sandakan
12.Akila Dhananjaya
13.Dushmantha Chameera
14.Shehan Madhushanka/NuwanP
15.Lakmal

12man (not verified)
Most probable

Most probable 15

1.Tharanga
2.Dhanushka
3.Kusal M
4.Kusal P
5.Mathews
6.Dhananjaya D Silva
7.Asela G
8.Dickwella
9.Chandimal/Sadeera
11.Lakshan Sandakan
12.Akila Dhananjaya
13.Dushmantha Chameera
15.Lakmal

Thanushan (not verified)
1.Tharanga2.Dhanushka3.Kusa

1.Tharanga
2.Dhanushka
3.Kusal M
4.Kusal P
5.Mathews
6.Dhananjaya D Silva
7.Asela G
8.Dickwella
9.Chandimal/Sadeera
11.Lakshan Sandakan/Malinda Pushpakumara
12.Akila Dhananjaya
13.Malinga
15.Lakmal

User offline. Last seen 2 days 1 hour ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3732
Another day another loss!

What a disappointing loss and start to the new year. The real concern for me is it's still one of two (1) poor start and never in the game (2) good start squandered by fiddling around in the middle order. We had a great start and Anji came in at a good time to take control of the game and instead he just fiddled around and lost momentum. Then we have Chandi for more fiddling around and the game was lost. Perera had one of this once in a blue moon knocks which kept the game alive but were gone by the time he came to bat because we didn't bat properly.

Wasn't expecting miracles but changed the coach, change the captain (as we have done before) and the results are the same. Sincerely looking for a change in tactics and happy to give Hathu time but just a poor start.

Anonymous (not verified)
Yes, total disappointment.

Yes, total disappointment.

KJP starts well, gets to 50, plays a silly shot to deep point and gets a life. Continues in his merry way and gives a hard return catch and gets another life. Then he plays an unnecessary shot and get caught at short fine leg. Did he actually want to stay and go for the win or what was his thought process?

Mathews played an insipid innings and did not appear totally in control even after reaching 40. Did not seem to have the hunger to succeed.

Chandimal played another terrible innings. Reverse sweeping is done only when one gets bogged down. This appears to be his favourite shot. Why? Didn't even look to be in control. Poor batting.

Thisara always tends to show kindergarten tendencies when playing. Bats like an idiot, bowls like an idiot and fields worse than an idiot. Somehow he gets to 60 and instead of buckling down and taking the team home, he plays a crass shot and goes back to the pavilion. From there, he should have gone home. Why is he playing?

It appeared that the team did not have the will to win.

Where do we go from here?

Hello? any body out there...?

The loss to Zim was bad but now the Bangers are back to breaking records as they did on their last visit to SL, this time, their biggest win! If we have forgotten how to play cricket lets look at the Bangers. These are our conditions and we are not even in the game and were the same against Zim till Perera had his knock. Just look at the Bangers strike rates - 5 of the top seven striking over 100%. There is no rocket science here, this is the way the game is played today, in fact this is our game that everyone else has adopted. I don't understand why we were trying to block our way to 300! Have we lost the plot to that extend that we actually thing we can block our way to 300.

We have two genuine stroke makers, both openers, both wild, perfect for the much needed quick starts and what to we do - send one at #4. Dickwella showed plenty last year to be an opener so why is he batting at #4? Yes I know both KJP and Dickwella play cow shots but what is the option? Recall Thirimane?..lol! I don't see how Chandi, Anji and Tharanga can play in the same team unless the target is 250! I don't understand why the out most experienced players in Chandi and Anji's starting tactic is to block and block and give away the momentum. This has been their game plan for ages - this was Englands game plan when the opened with Cook and had Bell and Trott in the team - yes these guys actually played limited overs cricket for England...once upon a time but have you seen their line up now?

There is not much one can do about not having the talent, other than keep saying there is plenty of talent around. But there is something you can do with the talent you have. We are playing like we started playing cricket last year and coming through the ranks. Yet Angela Mathews can be a devastating one day player with all the strokes in the game - so why is he blocking for his life. Chandimal is not like a noted blocker but a stroke make but blocking for his life. Its like the guys have lost the plot!

Anonymous (not verified)
Our batting and bowling has

Our batting and bowling has been disappointing. We have to play 3 fast bowlers and 1 good spinner. All other teams have adapted to this even Zimbabwe for crying out loud. Our over reliance on spinners is why we lost 2015 world cup and we haven't learned from this mistake. There has been a lot said about our batting, but to be honest bowling wins matches and we cant seem to take wickets at regular intervals. We don't need to bowl them out, but take wickets to hurt their run rate we just cant do that.

User offline. Last seen 33 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Runs: 1
Angelo Mathew's Being Consistantly Injury Prone!

By having Angelo Mathews we re depriving an up and coming player with all due respect Angelo is a great ambassador for Sri Lankan cricket though, he has been injured too often and having him in the first 11 and finds him injured or nursing niggle before start of play puts the entire think tank of the team in great inconvenience. We should ensure that he takes full rest getting his bits and pieces completly rehabilitated get him to play a full season of domestic cricket analyze him thoroughly close and must ensure that he shows the green light in getting him selected for the last 20 players in the pool>

(Last edited by King on January 28, 2018 - 05:17)
Finally something to smile about

Its been a long time coming but it's finally here. 10 days ago SL were written off and today they have trumped Bangladesh at home which few countries have in recent times in limited overs cricket. Basically there was no where to go a few days ago and SL turned up blew away Bangladesh for 82 and then wiped the floor with them in the final. I must admit I gave us no chance at all and was pleasantly surprised and finally something to get exited about.

The wicket for the final for me was a throw back from RPS on the past which critically, brings in Tharanga and Chandi in to the game, both of whom played vital knocks and to their strength. I thought the knock of the final was from was Dickwella who critically kept the strike rate up despite difficult batting conditions. I thought bringing in Madushanka for Sandakan was a error in judgement and still think so (it was turning square) but Madu delivered in fairly tale style so clearly I was wrong (or was I?)

I was happy to see Mendis in the side and playing with freedom. Yes I know, what a cow shot after that great start - anyone remember Aravinda De Silva? he was the same till he matured. What we don't want to do (as we just did) is drop Mendis in the process! That would be dumb and mismanagement, scarily the operating system for SLC!

This is a great boost for the team and a tick for Hathu. It's a long road ahead but this is a small and important victory.

Back to test and with confidence

Back to test's and the captain is missing and thankfully matched by the opposition captain as well. Bangers are strong at home these days winning tests against Aus and Eng and of course we couldn't beat them at home so away will be tough. In the spotlight is Kusal Mendis who I am really hoping will come good. He needs cement his spot and grow in to role. He issue is shot selection more than anything else and really looking for this guy to nail him spot and the selectors to leave him alone.

It's great to have Herath in the ranks on spinning tracks but worrying that he is still our only match winner. Dilruwan is solid but the 3rd spinners spot is open. Looking for Chandi and Dimuth to hold the batting and as always, we need runs to stay in the game.

I presume there will be spin from day one so get ready for a ripping spin.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
6 + 4 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.