[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in Bangladesh 2018

14 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 2 days 11 hours ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3732
Both sides happy at the end of 5 days

It was a perfect feather-bed test with the ball having no chance and everyone getting a chance to get big hundreds. Happy to see Mendis back in the runs but I thought his spot is #3 with De Silva being the career opener? Regardless it was great batting by these two and both sides really.

So who is the happier team? I reckon it was Bangladesh after getting past two potential situations. The first was when they they were 5 wickets down in the first innings on the second morning - they lost 3 quick wickets and we had a chance to knock then for a lower score but we let that one go. Next, was 5th morning, they were miles behind in the game and we had a chance to push but just weren't good enough.

The reality is in the past, SL hammered Bangladesh but this is not 3 tests in a row, we are only competing - sign of the times and reality of our cricket.

User offline. Last seen 32 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Runs: 1
Great spy in history

hathurusingha is a great spy. Bangladesh always will remember his greatness as spy.

Wiped the floor with Bangladesh!

Sensational performance by SL. No one has beaten Bangladesh at home for a while and they were trumped at their own game and were no where in the game at any stage. That was a dog of a wickets and required a high level of skill to bat on and where has this guy Roshen been all this time? I can recall numerous calls for his inclusion but we kept playing all sorts of guys who got us no where. We even played Gunathileke who averages 32 at first class before Roshen but yet here is a technically competent batter watching from the sidelines. On o wicket that few could bat on let alone get any runs, this guy 120 runs. when you consider Bangladesh didn't get to 120 in either innings, it highlights the how good Roshen was.

Great bowling by Akila and what a debut. Sure it was a wicket tailor made for spinners but he was the only one who managed to get 5 and ran through Bangladesh twice. I thought Kusal Mendis first innings 50 was priceless as was De Silva's 20 odd in the second. It was the only time Bangladesh had to get a look in and De Silva attacked the bowling on a difficult wicket to put the game beyond.

I must say I didn't expect to beat Bangladesh and certainly didn't expect Akila and Roshen to be stars of the test. After a disappointing start, SL have been sensational on rest of the tour to come away with both series in the bag and something to look forward to. Yes its only Bangladesh but lets face it, we couldn't beat them at home a few months ago and no one has really beaten them at home for a while so this is big. Also glad to see Mendis get his form back and De Silva seal that #3 spot.

Happy ending to a great tour

At the start it was all doom and gloom but SL never looked back and won everything including a very convincing T20 series thanks to two key factors clicking (1) quick runs at the top (2) big hitters delivering runs. This all came about due to change in tactics in opening with Mendis and getting the most of out Tissera and Shanaka. Of course to their credit, the guys repaid which blew away Bangladesh.

Lots to take away from this series and biggest question for me is Chandi. In two games that up to 200 runs were scored, Chandi faced 1 ball which questions what is his role in the batting line. Should we not play a Munaweera in that spot? I can think of Anji, KJP or Asela but they are all injured!!

Lots to take away from this series and I thought Tissera Perera put up one heck of a show in the limited over series just to remind us just what he is capable of. Kusal Mendis in the t20 was a revelation and full marks to the selectors for including him and playing him at the top of the order.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
8 + 4 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.