[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in England and Ireland 2014

335 replies [Last post]
Runs: 41202
1st ODI

Should Janith open in the ODI's? seems like he is struggling in English conditions

User offline. Last seen 2 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 5830
yes.. KJP should get to open

yes.. KJP should get to open all 5 ODIs... he needs time.. Remember he got 84 in a warm up game in Champions Trophy and RETIRED(shouldn't have done it in my opinion) after that he struggled. Need to show faith in him.

Runs: 41202
@ UC

Even i feel he should open, the problem i see is either he blocks or tries to clear the boundary. should rotate the strike and get the eye in these conditions i guess

User offline. Last seen 1 day 21 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 3712
Kusal must open

I too feel Kusal must be given a chance to blossom. We cant just drop him becauase he fails a few times and the conditions are new to him AND its not like we have a string openers who have done well in early English conditions. It would be normal for openers to struggle in early English conditions. The point is Kusal can win you games alone (or set you up) and this is a rare asset which must be groomed for the WC - he cant do that from the bench.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 5830
yeh it's true KJP doesn't

yeh it's true KJP doesn't really look for singles, and even when he does, he looks TOO eager to run and gets run out, but i thought he solved that problem in the Asia cup especially the final... may be he would be different in the ODIs.

however yesterday i felt he was a bit unlucky the way he got out, that could've gone either side of or over fine leg.. :/

but i don't think we should expecting the consistency we expect from Chandimal and Thirimann, remember Sanath wasn't exactly Sangasque consistent!

(Last edited by UppercuT on May 21, 2014 - 06:54)
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Maximum 2 more chances

Altogether KJP played four matches during this series, but he failed deliver what is expected from him in every match. But I also believe he should be given maximum 2 more chances (first 2 ODIs) to back in form during this series. If he performed well, SL can continue with him.
If not, he should be replaced by another young talented player in the squad (while Thrimanne or Chandimal open with Dilshan). May be Priyanjan or Chathuranga who are likely to be out of playing XI. However it is unfair to give too many chances to a particular player keeping other talented players on the bench.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 11440
Thank u @britishasiantst for
User offline. Last seen 1 day 21 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 3712
Playing eleven in batting order

Dilly
Kusal
Sanga
Thiri
Mahela
Chandi
Anji
Tissera
Kula
Sachi
Mali

CGI
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1390
Sana in Eng
CGI
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1390
Missed catch

Senanayake should deploy in Cover point, he has the height and is a brilliant fielder as well :(

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
5 + 4 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.