[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in India 2014

143 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 629
If Mahela opens

@ Surod regarding the team named with two vacant positions (If Mahela opens).
I agree with the team & batting order given by you. Further I believe Mahela-Dilshan pair is the best suitable opening pair at the moment. Regarding vacant positions;

For the no. 4 vacant position, my first choice is Thirimanne. Because, he is the more capable batsman who can settle in and play a long inning than other youngsters. If Thirimanne failed, second option is Chandimal.

For the no. 6 vacant position, my first choice is Priyanjan as a capable batsman who can bowl few overs at crucial times. If he plays, captain has an extra bowling option too. If Priyanjan failed, second option is Chandimal. If both continued to fail, like to see Kithruwan at no.6.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1290
Sri Lanka team sheet ATM

No don’t see that happening Peterson unless it is gone so wild in the next few matches. Otherwise they should definitely try that combination in last 2 games at least. Seems to be they are planning Mahela at no 4 and Thirimanne at no 6 and they both have performed up to expectation.

So now we have the following combination ATM. But these could change when the WC is nearby depending on players form

Dilshan
Kusal/Tharanga
Sangakkara
Mahela
Anjelo
Mathews
Thisara
Sachitra
Herath
Eranga
Malinga

We should only have one batting position to sort out. That is who should partner with Dilshan. Solutions are

Tharanga – High Probability
Kusal – High Probability

Other small probabilities are

Chandimal, Munaweera and Dickwella.

My favorite is Kusal he should come back to his usual form. Otherwise it will be a huge lost for Sri Lanka.
We should also consider about Kapugedara performance in Bangladesh. He is doing a great job in Bangladesh with bat and decent job in bowl too. So he can consider as batsman who can deliver some 4-5 overs in Aussie conditions. If he can do that we can use the following combination too. Look at the following team sheet

Kusal
Dilshan
Sangakakara
Mahela
Anjelo
Thirimanne
Kapugedara
Thisara
Sachitra
Herath
Malinga

This is a strong batting line up which has power hitters as well as solid players mix. Number 8 position Thisara Perera is coming. Definitely Malinga, Herath and Sachitra can bowl 30 overs. Remaining 20 overs can be filled by Thisara, Anjelo, Kapugedara and Dilshan. This also a worth to consider as it will be not a bad option especially if we could not find a quality seam bowler for the 2nd position.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1290
Sorry one mistake .....

In the first team sheet I have mention Anjelo and Mathews as two players. Instead of Mathews in the 6th position it should be Thirimanne.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
7 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.