[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in India 2014

143 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 629
Cheated

Dhawan cheated today. Clearly there was an edge to the keeper.
Unfortunately for SL, DRS is not available in this series. Otherwise SL could have kicked this cheater out of the ground.

User offline. Last seen 1 day 10 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 3712
No where again

I am afraid folks the truth is we were hammered again. The result may be show that given SL made 275 but this was a 300+ wicket. The wicket had nothing and SL were lucky to get to 274 and the Indians hardly broke sweat and had plenty in the tank and really it was a walk in the park. I get that SL were not prepared but this attack got nothing out of that wicket and looked rather lame at best.

Its also important to recongnize that SL's strenght is spin and India are not really a team that has issues with spin.

Lets not write off Kusal after the first failure, its not like Tharanga is going to suddenly win us games, Kusal can be a match winner and needs a run ahead of the WC.

User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Runs: 188
in my opinion 1. seekkuge not

in my opinion

1. seekkuge not a great spinner or neither pinch hitter. so we cannot expect from him big thing by send him before thisara. he is bit like jeewan mendis.

2. our spin bowling too one dimensional. all the bowlers are right arm spinners. i would pick chaturanga instead seekku. left arm spinner good fielder and decent batsman

3. raise the run rate - our team too rush to score the runs. most of our failed attempt to chase down targets we didnt even try to play out our 50 overs which is a waste . if you look at we chase 300+ targets in sa we play all 50 overs and finished. so what i say is we must try to play all the 50 overs which we can approach 250+ atleast or even better. what we can do is reaching short targets steadily until death overs where thisara prasad and likes of angi can push for the good score

4. india's fail against left arm quicks - in this same pitches pakistan beat india in 2013 .specially mohommed irfan and junaid khan put india in a huge trouble. specially kohli didn't have any clue against both irfan and junaid. like many of them say its better we gave chance to vishwa or that u-19 fast bowler who is another fernando. since this is an unwanted tour we can test them without any issue.

4 ashan priyanjan's technique not good as we need. he looks helpless when ball make bit swing and bounce. he might survive in subcontinent .but not in australia or newzealand

User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1290
Kusal great talent but some weaknesses need to sort out.

Kusal Janith Perera has a great potential to be a one of the best and I regard him as the best current young batsman in the Sri Lankan team. But he have two weaknesses that need to be corrected on if he to become a world class player in the future.

1. His head is falling when the ball is pitched on the middle and leg stump to fast bowlers when he trying to heave the ball to the leg side and getting hit on the pad like the way he got out today. This has happened several times including the 2013 Champions trophy where he fell to Mitchell Johnson after scoring a boundary in the 1st over of the game.

2. When the ball is turning away from him (Off spinner to the right hand batsman) he is struggling with lot of dot balls because he cannot hit the ball to the off side with the turn. He trying to defend it causing lot of dot balls eventually building more pressure on himself or trying to cut in the air to behind the wk or he coming down the stump to negotiate the spin but probably beaten and getting stumped. I have seen this several times with the bowling likes of Ashwin and Hafeez.

3. Apart from these two weaknesses he need to manage his temperament.

Experiment with Mahela at the top and bring Kusal in to middle

Mahela is never a good batsman at the number 4 position if we look his record even though team wants him to be a middle order. But he has done well in the opening position with the limited opportunities. So hopefully SL should open Mahela and Dilshan in the next game.

May be give Kusal in the middle order and see the results. He is a middle order batsman in the school and younger days. Because Sri Lanka do not have an regular good opener team management has asked Kusal to bat as an opener. Even though he done well in T20 as an opener yet to establish in ODI's as an opener. May be middle order may change his fortunes. We can use him as a floater his explosive strokes may be handy in the batting power play or in the back end. Sri Lanka have very limited players who can clear the boundary easily like Thisara, Mathews and Kusal. He might come good and Sri Lanka might need him in the WC to chase big totals. Don't ignore him only with this innings. We may ruined it later on. I hope he will be a better choice than Chandimal and Priyanjan at the moment. Like to experiment with this batting order in the next few games.

1. Mahela
2. Dilshan
3. Sangakkara
4. Thirimanne (Bring him back for 4th and 5th ODI's)
5. Mathews
6. Kusal (Can come as a floater in any situation)
7. Thisara

Suraj, Seekuge VS Rangika, Tharindu

Selectors need to consider the places of Seekuge and Suraj as they aren't looking threatening at all. These two bowlers don't have any doosra's, googly or straight bowlers at their bowling to trouble the batsman. They can think of a player like Lakshan Rangika the left arm spinner and who seems to have lot of variations in his bowling and Tharindu Kausal who is consistently performing in the domestic circuit for couple of seasons to give a chance and see in the 4th and 5th ODI's.

Look at 20 year old Akshar Patel of India. He just debuted the series against WI last month and probably now secure his place for the WC team ahead of more establish left arm spinner Jadeja because he is done better than him in the last few matches. We also might able to find players from Rangika and Kausal if we given the chance. They may be able to partner with Herath and Sachitra at the wc at the expense of Suraj and Seekuge.

140+ pace battery of Sri Lanka

SL definitely need some quick pace bowlers who can bowl at 140+ at least. Indian team have now some good pace bowlers who can bowl 145+ at least with the likes of Yadav, Aaron, Shami, Isant. May be give a player like Vishwa Fernanado a chance and see. He has some pace and also a left arm bowler which may be handy. Gamage looks good but he also like Kulasekara who bowls at 130-132. Prasad also never bowls at 140+ in present because he also now in early 30s.

Also another pacer we can try is Dusmantha Chameera in the 4th and 5th ODI's but probably we not want to see Dilhara Fernando in the team another time.

Experiment vs Non-Experiment

I am always in the view that we should not experiment before the series and some might asked the question now why I saying that we should experiment altogether. I said now we should experiment because it seems like the series has been already loss and it is a loosing cause anyway. I hope everyone understand this and agree with me what I said above.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 5830
my take

RE: this series & result:
as i mentioned even before the start of this series; the results of this series matters very very little. to be honest, it doesn't matter at all even if SL loose this 5-0. This is all about finding replacements/backups and getting the batsmen in form

RE: openning

-It's better to look Sanath stats as an opener in the early stages; Many of u will be surprised to find that Sanat averaged 27 something around the time of 96 WC and some time after that. coincidentally Kusal averages around the same..

-Yes we can open with Tharanga yes we can open with Mahela; BUT (with all due respect to Mahela) NEITHER of them are capable of HITTING SIX over midon/midoff off a FAST BOWLER during the 1st 10 overs. Havent seen Dilshan doing it either. Kusal CAN.

-Most of u may have missed this; because SL lost the series vs SA... but have a look at the stats and u will see Kusal absolutely OWNED DALE STEYN..Not even Sanga could dominate Steyn like that.. don't know about other but i think it will be pretty hand in flatter,bouncier pitches in Aus

-what he needs is a long run and management giving him confidence like Sanath used to have. It was very clear today he was kinda scared of faliure today, when he was SHAKING his head even when he was PLUMB infront. He was looking for an excuse to give to the management.

-Dont really understand why Sanath would'nt understand this since Sanath himself was based on the faith the captain and the management had in him

RE:bowling:
dont think we should overly worried for following reasaons:

-Mitchell Johnson and co went for plenty when they toured india last. every match over 300 runs were conceded.
-this NOT our 2nd string bowling attack, but this is our 3RD STRING bowling attack. If this was 2nd string, then it should feature Lakmal,Eranga,Sachitra

(Last edited by UppercuT on November 6, 2014 - 17:04)
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Runs: 188
we all know slc not good of

we all know slc not good of managing anything. be it finance or a talent . partly most of our young players are slow learners. but then again atleast one batsmen should be book his position at the moment. thirmanne dont know how to rotate strike regularly. chandi forgot how to score atleast 50 runs .priyanjan 's technique is worst of all. it seems mathews might have to build a new team from a to z once this seniors gone. Kaushal silva is the only player who i think who have best technique among all our young batters . not a bad idea if we pick him as a opener for odi's .

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
1 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.