[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/15

194 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 629
Well played Dimuth

Well played Dimuth. Dimuth seems to be knocking the door to the world cup squad.

Thanks to Dimuth, for leading the fight back today. Yes, few drop chances helped him to do so. But well executed 150 by Dimuth. He rotated the strike and capitalized on loose deliveries. Most important thing is that he was not stuck in the middle without scoring.

But when it comes to Thirimanne, I thought he became too defensive when batting and stuck in the middle. He should have batted bit positively when the partnership grows on.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
@Hilal true that well played

@Hilal true that

well played dimuth , you saved SL from humiliation

User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Runs: 188
we have some chance here. Day

we have some chance here. Day 4 morning session is key. if tailenders including kaushal need score atleast 10 or 15 runs then we have something around 40-60 runs . on other end prasanna and mathews have to score big IMO. at the moment run rate around 2.2-2.5 .means we need to bat atleast 40 overs if we need to make 100 runs lead .for that we need to bat beyond the lunch as well.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1290
Today Analysis

Have to said that I'm never a fan of Dimuth in the past. But have to admit and give the praise where it is due. This was a incredible innings with lot of patience until he got out by a pinch of a delivery by Boult. Hope he continue his form in the next few matches as well. But Peterson I know u have some issues with Kusal but I still feel Kusal should be partner with Dilshan in WC than Dimuth. Dimuth has not played any ODI recently and not in good form coming to this innings. So based on one sole test innings give the opener slot in ODI is a risk in a wc. Kusal played good innings during the Premier league tournament should be the favorite to take on ODI opening spot.

Coming to the test match situation I think SL is in difficult situation now. Just scoring 210 runs with 5 wickets down is not acceptable in any match forget the match situation. From the survival point loosing 5 wickets for 90 overs acceptable. At least they should have scored 50 runs more by the end of day.

Hitman do you believe 100 is OK. No way I feel at least 250 is needed. Probably 300 for more survival. Prassana and Mathews alone should have a 150+ partnership tomorrow to get a lead of 250 + atleast.

They should have played Chandimal in place of Dicwella. I'm not saying this now I said it earlier before the test match starts that Dickwella should be the player to sit out. He have a good future ahead but he is too early to international cricket in my view. He just poked very wide delivery when there are 2 overs left giving NZ the advantage of the day otherwise if 4 wickets down it would have been a even day for both teams.

User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Runs: 188
Surod - the reason for the

Surod - the reason for the slow day is southie and boult bowl really well . they never gave easy runs. if dimuth ,mathews and prasanna bat bit long 200 is a possibility. i said 100 runs need atleast . but you never know . australia bowl out to 90 odd runs when they chasing target of a 100 in india.

(Last edited by Hit man on December 28, 2014 - 20:39)
Keep this thread active

All of yours ideas opinions are welcomed here. This thread is very inactive in the last few days compared to England and Indian series discussion threads. Why this series is not very much interested for our cricket lovers ?

Sri Lanka ODI squad

Sri Lanka ODI squad is most likely to be named tomorrow and we can get almost the same idea who is going to the WC as well

SL squad for NZ ODI's and possibly for the World Cup as well

1. Angelo Mathews (Captain)
2. T.M Dilshan
3. Kumar Sangakkara
4. Mahela Jayawardena
5. Lahiru Thirimanne
6. Dinesh Chandimal
7. Dimuth Karunaratne
8. Jeevan Mendis
9. Thisara Perera
10 .Suranga Lakmal
11. Lasith Malinga (Subject to fitness)
12. Dhammika Prasad
13. Nuwan Kulasekara
14. Rangana Herath
15. Sachithra Senanayake
16. Shaminda Eranga

My view on the squad

No surprises except for DIMUTH KARUNARATHNE in for KUSAL JANITH PERERA. Though this has been named as NZ squad this probably will be the same squad that is going to be played in the WC as well.

In the WC one among ERANGA and PRASAD will grab in the final 15 member squad.

But in my opinion they should have included Kusal instead of Dimuth who haven't played any ODI's recently. He played well in the test 2nd innings but based only on that innings named in the WC squad it is not a wise decision in my opinion. Prior to that innings he did not had a good run of form in domestic cricket as well.

My view on the squad

I think they have missed a trick here by not naming Kusal. He is a X factor player and played well in the premier domestic cricket tournament after his drop in the late December.

Think if Dimuth had got out for 10 in the 2nd innings if that catch has been taken I don't think he will be named in the squad. So based on that innings named in the squad is hard to believe.

I got the feeling Dimuth 150+ runs in the 2nd innings have adversely effected us for WC. Hope he prove me wrong by playing some consistent innings.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
4 + 5 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.