[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in New Zealand, 2015-16

20 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
StaffTop Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 7127

Discuss Sri Lanka's tour of New Zealand here.

Schedule

DECEMBER 2015

Thurs 03 – Sat 05 – Warm up match v President’s XI at Queenstown Events Centre, Queenstown
Thurs 10 – Mon 14 – 1st Test at University Oval, Dunedin at 10.30am
Fri 18 – Tues 22 – 2nd Test at Seddon Park, Hamilton at 10.30am
Sat 26 - 1st ODI at Hagley Oval, Christchurch at 11.00am
Mon 28 – 2nd ODI at Hagley Oval, Christchurch at 11.00am
Thurs 31 – 3rd ODI at Saxton Oval, Nelson at 11.00am

JANUARY 2016

Sat 02 – 4th ODI at Saxton Oval, Nelson at 11.00am
Tues 05 – 5th ODI at Bay Oval, Mt Maunganui at 11.00am
Thurs 07 – 1st T20 at Bay Oval, Mt Maunganui at 3.00pm
Sun 10 – 2nd T20 at Eden Park, Auckland at 3.00pm

Runs: 41208
Squads

Greats squads selected for the tour.

User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Runs: 130
Squads

Definitely one of the better squads in quite some time. Unfortunate that eranga is out due to injury though. About time that silva was dropped he bats far too slow for my liking. Who do you guys think is going to open with dimuth? I think mendis to keep the left-right combo.

User offline. Last seen 1 day 15 hours ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3732
NZ have one weakness

NZ's only weakness I see are the opening batters and this could be our only chance to put some presure on them. Early wickets with the new ball in the hope dislodging the rock that is Williamson and getting at Taylor and McCallum while the ball is still new. We have the man for the job in Prasad who has been sensational with the new ball this year so fingers crossed. Unfortunately we have a worse scenario with no rock to follow a potential debutant at the top of the order!

We should be expecting seam tracks and I reckon we need to throw Chameera in. If he is ever going to get a wicket to suit, surely early NZ is it so lets play him.

Runs: 1509
Cricket StatsGuru points
What weakness?

NZ had a weakness at the begining of this series but with hundreds from both openers not many holes anymore. The result was expected but I thought SL did reasonably well to push the game to the 5th day but otherwise an expected result.

Some positives are runs from Chandi and both openers making some impression against a strong new ball attack. Also disappointing the starts from most of the batters but unable to play a meaningful innings to impact the game.

Its so green you can smoke it!

Never call a wicket doctored outside Asia but sounds like the Hamiltion wicket is perfectly suited for NZ. No harm in that, its called home advantage in the rest of the world and SL have a mission on their hands.

Win the toss and bowl first I take it and I wonder if SL would consider playing a seamer in place of Herath. Other than that I cant think of any changes. Not looking forward to this one I am afraid - its the kind of nightmare - NZ early summer on a green top. Winning the toss will be a good start!

User offline. Last seen 40 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Runs: 188
Common Mathews why are you so

Common Mathews why are you so defensive? Again another chance which we could have put the hands on their throat and shake them.please don't waste it.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
Great fight from the lads .

Great fight from the lads . hope they can take the last wicket quickly tomorrow . have a feeling anything over 250 will be a really good lead in this pitch with some good fielding .

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
terrible decision by the

terrible decision by the umpire , 3rd umpire had no clue about what he is doing , he said the ball's hotspot as the glove . nothing in sniko as well. not enough evidence to overturn that decision . two back to back wicket the game has thrown away from SL now ..now i wonder ICC will come out and admit their mistakes like they did with nathan lyon decision .

(Last edited by SLCricket1 on December 19, 2015 - 20:00)
Competed but let out selves down.

Boys done a decent job after losing the toss but like so many times before, when the time came to put the foot on the throat, we self destructed to hand NZ the advantage. At 70/0 in the second innings, there was only one way this was going but SL found another and collapsed for 130 and then were chasing the game again. We did a decent job by taking wickets but just didnt have that last knock out punch to run through the Kiwis. Credit to NZ who conceded a first innings lead and despite losing wickets in the chase, were good enough to bring it home. Just how good is Williamson? well he is now the #1 batter in the world and that is why he made a 100 when it mattered while out batters were no where when it mattered.

Great to see Chameera making an impact and looks a great prospect. Not sure why he wasnt given the new ball in the first innings but he is a talent and the only way to harness that talent is to keep playing him. Litle pointhaving a talent and sitting on the bench. He has now shown he can be a potential game changer and hope to see him partner with Prasad in the future.

All in all dissappointing but expected performance from the guys. It's always tough touring NZ early summer and with a young team, this was always going to be tough.

Couple of other note worthy matters are the openers who did a decent job against a quality NZ pace attack. Chandi I thought did really well in tough conditions but not much else to talk of.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
3 + 7 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.