[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in New Zealand, 2015-16

20 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 52 min ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3712
Rabbits in the lights

We were bad, really bad in the first one dayer I am afraid. Its sort of what I expected in the test but we did really well but the Kiwis set the record straight in the first one dayer. They are the WC finalist and got most bases covered in the limited over game in these conditions and we will do well to compete the series.

Run to the hills!

Well I thought the 1st one dayer was bad but the second was an embarassing! Yes we expect NZ to beat us and beat us easy but this is like clubbing seals. Not sure of options as we know our bowling and batting for these conditions are limited while NZ have all options covered.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
well done SL , a good win .

well done SL , a good win . If I was the coach i wouldn't have played thiri in this game , but the same top 4 kept the trust of the coach and batted really well , the same lost batting line up tactic did not work in the test match tho .anyways a good reply form thiri to the bull artist in IC who saying in here " Thiri finally had to be dropped from something " with no knowledge about stats & past record of this player in the shorter format of the game .

(Last edited by SLCricket1 on December 31, 2015 - 02:25)
Great comeback

What a performance by the lads to pull one back, especially after the last two games. Great to see Thiri amongst the runs but most of all, great to see a youngster make a claim. From the little I saw, Gunathileka looked a good stroke maker and looking forward to more from him.

Dilshan did what is good at these days, holding things togeather but nice to see the bowling attack full of youngsters, hold the NZ batters to a manageabel score. Great win and hopes are up again!

Decent show but target too far

Note worthy performance by the lads but you need to get a good start when chasing 300 but it was always going to be a struggle at 30/3 after 10. Nice to see Anji in the runs and Chandi continues to show consistency which we so desperately need. Decent alround performance by Siriwaradena but Kapu yet to put in a noteworthy performance and the series is over.

Safe to say this was the expected result against a strong NZ team at home. The first two one dayers were a disaster but SL did well to win the next and put in a credible show in the last.

Good game but short again

Top order wobbles again saw SL with a lot to do but Guna and Siri and later Perera did a great job to get us that close but we just had lost too many wickets in the final overs. I thought Siri could have been a little more circumspect to hang around but he batted really well to get us that close.

Despite the loss I am happpy to see the lads compete as I did expect a loss in all formats at the begining of the tour. One last game and win would be a great way to sign off.

Was also looking for Perera to make a sort of comeback but dissappointed with his pol-adi attitude. Sure he made some important runs but still the same one diemensional player (targetting cow corner). With his experience, I would have expected him to add something to his game to take that step to the next level which we so desperately need but sadly he is stuck with his ways.

Wondering if Anji should not drop down the order and take on the finishers role allowing Kapu to bat up the order to get some runs and make an impact. We need to get more out of Kapu and he is often left to finish off games in tight situations.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Batting order change

I completely agree with Stormy. Pushing Kapugedera to a finishing role is not a wise decision. I also believe that Kapugedera would make more impact, if he batted top of the order preferably at no.4. If Kapugedera could settled in the middle coming at no.4, he could be a dangerous batsman at the end of the inning.

On the other hand, nice to see experienced Kulasekara is back among wickets. His come back is very important for Sri Lanka ahead of the T20 world cup.

(Last edited by R Peterson on January 7, 2016 - 13:20)
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 629
Another humiliating defeat

Another humiliating defeat for Sri Lanka. Thanks for the fight back innings from Mathews, other wise things would have been more worst. What I cannot believe is that why other batsmen could not clear the rope in such a small ground. All hit in the air and found the fielder.
Again Shehan's struggle at the top of the order, became a burden for team. He neither did his part with batting nor fielding.
Eventually, I think SL should go with a new coach from now onwards. There is no international matches for Sri Lanka until February 24. So, this time period is more than enough for the new Cricket board to find new coach.

(Last edited by R Peterson on January 10, 2016 - 02:08)
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
this was my comment couple of

this was my comment couple of days ago under this article http://www.islandcricket.lk/news/srilank...

"@Dinith don't mix the formats . dilshan was the best batsman in our last T20 series . shehana was the weak link & he is still the weak link for SL , kiththa should replace him for the next game ."

"@Dinith shehan wasn't an U19 player ? didn't you saw how much he struggle to get off the mark against WI ? IF other players are so better than dilshan why they were unable to score more runs than him in that series? Dilshan wasn't the only players who batted against WI in that series ? Dilshan is the only consistent performer in that T20 series all the other players struggled against so called " weaker" WI ."

needless to say anybody watch SL cricket closely knows that shehan is just useless. and any team who pick useless players & drop players who had won T20 matches with the bat like thiri ,that kind lame selectors and a team deserves this kind of humiliation

Jaya apitai (not verified)
me SLCricket1 kiyana eka ali

me SLCricket1 kiyana eka ali panditaya (hariyata ape arjuna) wage. U hitan inne u thamai pora u kiyana ewa thamai okkoma hari kiyala. ekane u kalin dapu comments wala link hitan dala thiyenne. nikam hariyata dilshan gahuwa wage. thawa podden u 10k wath gahanne naa boult catch eka gathanam.

Mu hitan inne Thirimanne hari pora kiyala. SLCricket1 ge hite hatiyata Thirimanne kiyanne sl wala Kane Richardson. Thirimanne gahuwane ODI and test series wala niyamata. ODI series eke gahuwe Dhanuskaya already apita win karapu match eka witharai. anik macthes 3 lakunu 1,1,2. Ko uba kiyana vidihata gahuwada ?

T20 wala mu kiyanne ara u england wala last t20 match eke 40k gahuwa kiyala uta hama dawasama 40 ewa gahanna puluwan kiyala. ane bun eka match ekak matches 10kin gahuwata hariyanne naa.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
1 + 1 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.