[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka in UAE, 2013/14

352 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 19 hours 14 min ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3712
Slept to death!!

Anyone still here? That was a slow sad loss which I hope will not haunt SL for much longer. In all honesty if you said to me at the toss, I will give Pakistan a target of 300 in 60 overs on the 5th day on this wicket I would take it everyday. So while the focus is on negative tactics ETC, SL were still looking good mid-way on the 5th mornings. The real issue is if you look at this way is to what went wrong after and it seems it was still case of negative tactics of not attacking the Pakistan batter who were alllowed to make the running. Lets also not detract from the brillinat Pakistan chase but SL once again had a chance to put the opponent away but refused to do so and this I am afraid is a problem not just for this captain but it goes back along way. How many of you guys recall the old trick of spinning opponenty to huge wins in Galle and then losing in Asgiriya and then panicing in Colombo? The problem remains the same - when its time to put the foot on the throat SL appear reluctant which lets in the opponent and few will let you get away with that.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 5830
agree with @stormy, i

agree with @stormy, i would've given Pak 300 in 60 overs any day on a day 5 pitch. think SL overestimated the difficulty on this FLAT Sharjah. There was no big spin on the pitch. So may be they shud've got more runs.

PS: SA got so close to win in the 1st Test vs India, BUT they opt to go for a draw, in order to secure a SERIES win. no one was saying it was "defensive" then, were they?

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
12 + 6 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.