[Discussion Thread] Sri Lanka v New Zealand, Super Eights, WT20, 2012

34 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 2 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 560

ICC World Twenty20, 13th Match, Super Eights, Group 1: Sri Lanka v New Zealand at Pallekele, Sep 27, 2012

Start time: (15:30 local | 10:00 GMT | 06:00 EDT | 05:00 CDT | 03:00 PDT)

Drop Munaweera, select Chandimal and let Mahela open with Dilshan. What do you think?

Win the toss and bat?

Mendis, Herath or Dananjaya?

Anonymous (not verified)
persist with munaweera up

persist with munaweera up top. chandimal is too slow. and the middle order position is key and jayawardena is someone who can take it. if mendis is unavailable or not fully fit, play dhananjaya. we need a wicket taker not someone like herath as a spinner who can't run around much either in the field.

User offline. Last seen 4 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1336
Team Selection

I have a feeling that Sri Lanka will prefer to open with Mahela. Then there will be a dilemma between selecting Munaweera or Chandimal. Chandimal's got talent, but he tends to slog a lot in T20. So if it was me, I'd select Munaweera and send him at No.3 and make Sanga bat at No.4.

Mendis of course is preferred if he can play, but if not, definitely Dhananjaya. He's got what it takes. However if the conditions are very wet, I'd pick Herath as his experience and control will be useful in such conditions.

If there's not much of a chance of rain, then bat first. If there's rain around then bowl first.

I find it pathetic of Ajantha Mendis to find injuries whenever he plays! It's a whole different one this time. He needs to listen to the physio and work hard to avoid these small injuries if he wants to be a part of this team!

User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Runs: 22
Breaking new news. Maiya is

Breaking new news.

Maiya is open bat. Muna full dropped for Chandi.

Menda small injury. Check only before game and then only telling. After I talk to Menda I will tell you ok.

Come on boys... Lets win game.

User offline. Last seen 1 day 6 hours ago. Offline
StaffTop Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 22672
According to this article,

According to this article, Mendis is fit:

http://www.islandcricket.lk/news/srilank...

User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 429
That is really good news. I

That is really good news. I prefer Chandi to open instead of Munaweera.

User offline. Last seen 1 day 6 hours ago. Offline
StaffTop Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 22672
Playing two uncapped players

Playing two uncapped players in a World Cup just highlights how messed up our selection process is. It's not fair on Munaweera or Dananjaya when they are expected to deliver during such an important tournament. In the past too we have seen selectors throwing players into the deep end like this and discarding them right after one series. I hope that's not the case here. Munaweera did play in two games but has faced just 33 balls in total — that's not enough to judge how good he is, or if he should play or be axed. Am I wrong?

User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 5
Good luck SL. As an English

Good luck SL. As an English supporter, I have to say that England will go through to the semis, so it's between you & WI for the other spot. End of the road for NZ. And to the numerous Indians, if I were in your place I'd be rooting for SL, not criticizing them.

User offline. Last seen 5 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 5
Ajantha Mendis is yet to

Ajantha Mendis is yet to recover from his side strain

User offline. Last seen 4 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1336
@ Hilall

Right on the money Hilal! I understand them picking Dhananjaya because of the intimidation and fuzz he has caused to the other teams as he has some mystery around him, but they should have picked Kapu instead of Munaweera.

With Munaweera we have three batsmen who can open. Our real problem is in the middle order with power hitting.

They should have had young Munaweera selected for the next ODI series and given him an extended run without dropping him into this hot box! I feel sad for him and to be fair, he didn't do all that bad for a new guy trying to settle in. He'll be an ideal replacement for Dilshan once he retires.

(Last edited by Sanki8OH8 on September 27, 2012 - 04:43)
User offline. Last seen 2 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 5830
yup, still believe munaweera

yup, still believe munaweera shud ve got another chance in this match, this match will be easier of the lot when compared to upcoming matches. if he gets dropped in this match, can't see him playing in the rest of the tournament. he SHUD'VE played in this game, at least to get a proper 'look-see' of him!!!

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
12 + 4 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.