[Discussion Thread] West Indies in Sri Lanka, 2015

29 replies [Last post]
Anonymous (not verified)
Thirimanne has failed

Thirimanne has failed consistently in test level & We were unable to see any significance performance from Koushal Silva after century against Pakistan in Galle. Although Dimuth was failed in Indian series his 150 against NZ & century against Pakistan will save his spot. Mubarak was unable to score at least half century in his last six innings. Tharanga still has his ugly out side the off stump problem. He needs fortunate at the start of his inning to score a big one. Although as openers Koushal & Dimuth have the correct technique they were unable to deliver in last series. Therefore we need to change openers. At the moment we need win rather than experiments. I believe Tharanga Paranawithana & Chamara Silva should come back to the team. We can't play 7 young batters in the team. We can get the service of those players another couple of years. At the same time we can give Thirimanne, Koushal, Tharanga to play in the A team to get their form.

My team;

1.Tharanga Paranawithana(As an opener he has shown his performances in this level & score runs quicker than Koushal)
2.Dimuth Karunarathna
3.Dinesh Chandimal
4.Chamara Silva(he is a good player for spinners & we can get his service couple of years until A team players further groom)
5.Anjelo Mathews
6.Milinda Siriwardene
7.Kusal Janith Perera.

other 2 batters in the team Upul Tharanga(as he didn't get consistently chances in his 2nd comeback) & Koushal Silva.
Thirimanne can play in the A team as no.3 batsmen. This is a good selection of youth & experience.

A team Test batting lineup;

1.Udara Jayasundara
2.Dhanajaya de Silva
3.Lahiru Thirimanne
4.Roshen Silva
5.Ashan Priyanjana
6.Kithruwan Vithanage
7.Niroshan Dickwella
8.Asela Gunarathna

These selections are not unjustice for the players.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thirimanne has failed far too

Thirimanne has failed far too often, and should not be in the team let alone be vice captain! He should be sent on the A team tour, I don't know why selectors keep pickign him. I'm not the biggest fan of Tharanga but he should have ben selected ahead of Thirimanne for the India tests. We should try out some youngsters in at least one test, Dhanajaya could be a good opener or even at one down, he can score fast or dig in. A lot of our players need to learn the merits of leaving balls, having good defence and rotating strike. Chandimal for example, done this a lot in the tests when he was promoted. It worked in his old position at 6/7 but here you don't have to keep strike to protect the guy at the other end and waiting for the boundary ball will probably make him get out faster.

AS for who should be VC, I think a positive and aggressive player should be in this position. Thirimanne is way too negative and passive, so it should to Prasad or Chandimal (or maybe even Kusal). This will give a balance, as Mathews is cool and collected but can go into a shell when someone is set.

Same for the ODIs and T20s, we need to invest in young players. Kusal Mendis has ben in very good form recently and he should be given a go, as well as other players. Remember the first and second T20s against Pakistan? When we gave young players a chance, everything looked better. We batted better, we bowled better (until Afridi came to the crease at least, where we kept bowling short) and our fielding was improved dramatically.

Anonymous (not verified)
My test team

My test team;

1.Koushal Silva
2.Dimuth Karunarathna
3.Lahiru Thirimanne
4.Dinesh Chandimal
5.Anjelo Mathews
6.Upul Tharanga
7.Kusal Janith Perera
8.Rangana Herath
9.PHT Koushal
10.Dammika Prasad
11.Nuwan Pradeep

12.Suranga Lakmal
13.Dushmantha Chameera
14.Niroshan Dickwella
15.Milinda Siriwardene

Also Kusal has the capability to score big hundreds. Hence, It is not a bad idea to give wicket keeping job to Dickwella & move Kusal top of the order.

Also I like to see this batting line up as well,

1.Koushal Silva
2.Dimuth Karunarathna
3.Milinda Siriwardene
4.Dinesh Chandimal
5.Anjelo Mathews
6.Kusal Janith Perera
7.Niroshan Dickwella

User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 629
My team for the first test

My team for the first test against West Indies; I think Chandimal was banned for one test match.

01) Kaushal Silva
02) Dimuth Karunaratne
03) Lahiru Thirimanne
04) Milinda Siriwardane
05) Angelo Mathews (c)
06) Kusal Perera (wk)
07) Kusal Mendis
08) Tharindu Kaushal
09) Rangana Herath
10) Dhammika Prasad
11) Nuwan Pradeep

User offline. Last seen 23 hours 15 min ago. Offline
Runs: 3712
Perfect days play

Finally, a perfect days batting by SL and great to see two guys with scores unbeaten at the end of the day. Happy to see Chandi getting amongst the runs too and a polished knock from Dimuth.

What are we going to do about Thiri folks? Another totally unconvincing scratch around and gave a chance for his 16 and what a poor shot. I dont get his attitude of blocking for dear life and then hitting out and getting out. Did the same in the previous series. Either push the singles or be happy to bat it out - its a test match after all.

Another couple of sessions of decent batting and huge presure on Windies. Not looking to bat the whole day due to the expected rain - we should be pushing to declare by tea and put pressure on the Windies batting.

CGI
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1390
Bit worried about the run

Bit worried about the run rate

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
yeah the RR is in the slower

yeah the RR is in the slower side , if the pitch do not change this is going to be ended up like that bangla galle test .

Decent days cricket from SL

Despite the tumble of wickets in the afternoon, SL did what was required for the day which was to aim 450+ and get a couple of wickets although the key pair are at the wicket now. Lost count how many catches the Windies dropped so its a tad dissappointing that despite all the dropped catches we managed a slump. Great to see two of the younger players make big hundreds and put on a huge partnership.

I wasnt sure what SL were doing after tea and this happens too often. 450 on the board and Anji out first ball after tea and despite having Kusal at the wicket, we crawled around at less than 2 runs an over for the next 10. I just dont understand what we are thinking - are we playing for a draw! This happened in the last series too - aimless batting when the initiative was there for the taking. The call of the day was to bat quickly to may be get to 500 and get the Windies in ASAP. Instead we ambled along and even #10 got a bat but still didnt get to 500. It's like some of us arent aware of what is going on or missing that instinct to win.

Decent days cricket from SL

Despite the tumble of wickets in the afternoon, SL did what was required for the day which was to aim 450+ and get a couple of wickets although the key pair are at the wicket now. Lost count how many catches the Windies dropped so its a tad dissappointing that despite all the dropped catches we managed a slump. Great to see two of the younger players make big hundreds and put on a huge partnership.

I wasnt sure what SL were doing after tea and this happens too often. 450 on the board and Anji out first ball after tea and despite having Kusal at the wicket, we crawled around at less than 2 runs an over for the next 10. I just dont understand what we are thinking - are we playing for a draw! This happened in the last series too - aimless batting when the initiative was there for the taking. The call of the day was to bat quickly to may be get to 500 and get the Windies in ASAP. Instead we ambled along and even #10 got a bat but still didnt get to 500. It's like some of us arent aware of what is going on or missing that instinct to win.

Another perfect day's cricket

All praise for the lads and Herath the hero again AND they enforced the follow on. There were moments I was thinking they would bat again and then the issue of when to declare and the rain but glad the obvious choice was made.

I assume the wicket isnt getting any easier to bat on and a couple of wickets away from exposing what is a fairly inexperienced WI batting line up so looking for the lads to do the job tomorrow.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
1 + 13 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.