[Discussion Thread] West Indies in Sri Lanka, 2015

29 replies [Last post]
Anonymous (not verified)
Stormy's fan!

I know not many people comment on these threads, especially threads for low-key series like this but Stormy always contributes. I used to comment often but now cannot find the time to. However, I thoroughly enjoy reading Stormy's analyses - they make sense, are fair and contain no 'fangirling' (I know I'm kinda fangirling now)!!

So, keep going, Stormy! Looking forward to your next analysis!

User offline. Last seen 2 days 10 hours ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3732
Series win is the only option.

Looking for SL to win the series here and get back on the horse. Probably the best wicket in the world for test cricket but don’t tell that to anyone else this as it will spin! There will also be pace and carry and with all the rain around, expect swing too and there is a critical selection decision between a 2nd spinner or 3rd seamer. We don’t want to make another selection blunder like the 3rd test at the SSC where we played a 2nd spinner on a green top.

If it’s a second spinner do we play Tharindu or bring back Dilruwan? I reckon if there is spin we rely on Herath, backed up by the new left armer and play the 3rd seamer, the new guy with some pace – hope he is not injured.

Also what about Thiri? Do we keep playing him or give a cap to a 20 year old Mendis with a handful of first class games? Do we bat Mendis at #3 or do we play Thiri but bat him at #5 with Chandi at #3 and Anji at #4? My call we can’t keep messing around the batting order to accommodate Thiri (especially with Chandi and Anji doing well). Neither can we drop Thiri after a single test when we selected him despite the duck in the only warm up game. So Thiri it is and #3 it will be. How long can this go on? Already gone past the point of no return – Thiri must score or we are in for a huge debate for the next series.

SL's to lose

Wasn't happy on the first day at our 200 but it looks like a 200 wicket with only one score over 50 after 3 innings. Malinda has been the difference with the bat in both innings and a breath of fresh air AND he has got some handy wickets too. The wicket looks a real grubber and I expect us to win but the Windies are not out of it yet. Having said that i think we will take a 225 target on this wicket anyday.

Was a bit dissappointed with Mathews yesterday. After Kusal got out I would have expected him to put the foot down but he just defended and got out to a reverse sweep! Was also dissappointed with Kusal Perera's shot selections in both innings. Cant really be too critical of the batter on a tough wicket but plenty of credit to Prasad. He present some outstanding deliveries regardless of the conditions and has 5 important wickets in the game alreay. Nice to see Dilruwan get a few wickets but now for the rain to stay away and a win tomorrow.

Convincing series win!

Boys delivered what was expected of them - a convincing series win against the lower ranked team. The Windies hardly got a look in which was expected and very exicted about Milly! A guy who can bat in the top and bowl has been part of our success starting with Aravinda, Sana and Dilshan and finally we have someone. Also means less pressure on Anji so this is a breath of fresh air.

Herath did what he does best and Dilruwan did his job on a helpfull wicket. Prasad again continues to impress but Pradeep had a quiet series. Seriously concerned about Kaushal Silva and what on earth happened to this guy. He scored a ton of runs at A level and made a decent start in test but just lost the plot lately. His stonewalling is an issue but not if he makes runs and he is desperately short of runs this season.

I would like to see Chadni tighten his defense. This was what Ara was when he was young - his lose defense kept letting him down but when he got his defense sorted, he was one of the best in the world. Chandi is a long way from that but looking for him to tighten his defense and see what lays ahead.

Well done to the lads but difficult tours ahead with NZ next up in early summer.

Looking for another series win in the one dayers

Ok folks here we go again in the limited overs leg and take note the Windies are a different proposition in limited overs cricket. Somehow they found enough to leave to of their best players in Bravo and Pollard at home! I dont get how cricket administration can come to this where the best players are not even in the squad but we have two on show in this series! The Windies have options in one day cricket with big hitters and spin options so expecting this to be a hard fought series.

First things first - I presume Thiri will bat at #3 and he better make runs! With Chandi out for the first game only, both Danushka and Shehan will play to make up the 7 and we will have about 5 bowling options in the 7 batters. I am not even sure why we picked Sachinthra and Mendis as spin options as this is a low key series and perfect opportunity to try out other options but its possible we will select the as the spin options. I would of course pick Vandersay (the leggi) and give him a few games and see what we get out of him. Kula - well unless his swing is back this is another wasted opportunity but is his swing is back, very important cog in the attack.

Looking forward to a hard fought series and looking for the rain to stay away.

What a game

Great game of cricket folks and both teams should have won the game a couple of times over but SL held their nerve in the end. Mendis the hero and anyone having any doubts about Dilshan is no doubt are thinking again. Dilshan was sensational but what a poor show by Thiri and Anji! Once again Thiri nicked one to slip before getting out and Anju played an awful shot for no reason. I would have considered batting one of the debutants before Anji - anyone recall what happened to Chandi and Thiri, left in the lower order to battle alone.

Good to see Lakmal bowling and getting wickets but Malinga continues to cause concern but all important win under the belt.

Lights out for the Windies

Comprehensive as a win one could ask for and great to see two young players do the business with the bat. Kusal played probably his most convincing innings in terms of a properly structured one day innings and Thiri looked in supreme form. Cannot undersand why this guy struggles so much in tests. Bowlers kept SL in the game and nice to see Malinga doing something with the ball AND effecting two run outs.

Series under the belt and I would rest Dilshan for the 3rd and play Danushka at the top of the order but we wont. I would also play the young leg spinner in place of Sachithra but we wont! Finally I would bat Shehan behind Chandi but we wont!

Lights still out at the Windies

It was expected but good to see the final result of a white wash in both series for SL. It must also be noted that WI look distant in terms of competing. They left their best 3 players (Gayle, Bravo and Pollard) at home and suspended their coach on the eve of the tour. Having said that, you can only play who is on the park on the day and SL were way ahead which is good.

The huge plus for me is Kusal - besides the runs he has made, his method has changed to a more mature level which is great to see. Remember he just broke the SL record of the fastest 50 last series, so to see him playing two polished knocks was just great.

Was dissappointed that vandersy didnt get a look in all series while Mendis played all 3 games. Not suggesting Mendis is good or bad but we know what we get from Mendi but why not check out a youngster in a low key series like this? What are we going to do - take him to New Zealand and give him a game on a seam friendly track! I also thought Chameera should have played all the games and Lakmal and Malinga should have been alternated. Chameera is out pace hope so he must be given a chance.

All is all nothing to bear a drum about but satisfactory series wins.

Am I alone here?

Is it just me or is there no one else on this site!

Well another game and another polished performance by the lads and Kusal continues to defy the odds and play proper cricket. I am really excited about this as we really need someone at the top of the order and this guy could play all forms of cricket. Milinda continues to get wickets and really impressed by Chameera's change of pace. Shehan also made an impression so plenty to get excited here and looking for the lads to white wash the Windies in the final game.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
14 + 1 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.