[Discussion Thread] South Africa in Sri Lanka 2018

3 replies [Last post]
Runs: 41208

Discuss South Africa's tour of Sri Lanka here.

User offline. Last seen 6 hours 31 min ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3723
The losing at home needs to

The losing at home needs to stop from this series against SA folks. We cannot live in a world where we cannot win at home - that is simply a different level of cricket in which we cannot live in. The method here is simple and has worked for years, prepare spin friendly wickets a play 3 spinners which gives us the best chance and nullifies the Saffer pace attack. If we don't get it just look at what India did for the last SA tour.

Also without AB, SA are awfully reliant on Faf and Amla, both wonderful players but there are a few younger players who may not play our spinners will. Make not mistake, the SA spinners are no mugs either, even Von Berg is a decent leggie so we would need to bat well regardless - something we seem to struggle with it which is why we lose at home.

Demolition job completed in less than 3 days!

How good were SL and just how poor were SA? Well the SL spinners were simply superb but the SA batting was woeful and the SL batting except for Dimuth and Lakmal (yes you heard right - Lakmal), was below par. We really need to get this batting sorted out and it's easy to look past it after such a huge win but the inability to bat is costing us. It's mainly through poor shot selection and lack of temperament to build a meaningful innings but more of that on a different thread.

Dimuth batted in a different world and was the difference in this game - basically he outscored SA team in the test! SA let SL off the hook big time when they had us 170/8 on the first day after we won the toss and elected to bat. This is what I mean about poor batting and if you look at the shot selection, you know what I mean. It's just not test standard but thankful SA outdid us in this test. We did really well to get to 280+ from there in which at the time didn't look enough but thanks to SA's total inability to play spin, it was more than enough.

I didn't the wicket was too bad to warrant a 3 day finish and SA not to score 200 in total over two innings. I also felt SL didn't do enough with the bat in the second innings, again with poor shot selection but all of it didn't matter due to the total collapse of SA.

10 wicket haul for Dilruwan who out bowled Herath in both innings and on cue following Heraths announcement of retiring after the English test later this year. SA have all the questions to answer ahead of the second test at the SSC and looking for the boys to come to the party and bat well once to secure the series at the SSC.

No captain, no manager, no problem

Well folks I just said the losing at home needs to stop not embarrass the number 2 team! That was yet another demolition job and game was done in 2 days. SA were so clueless they actually picked 3 seamers for a dry SSC wicket. I think they knew in the first 10 minutes of the game just what a hold SL had on them.

Dimuth has turned a new chapter in his career with this series. He has been making runs for a while but this was a touch series for everyone and he was miles ahead of all and hardly looked in trouble. Remember he got a 150 in the first test and no one got 50.

We now know when Herath will finish which is sad but again he marked his territory with yet another display of classic left armers - what about the beauty to De Brien today? Happy to see Anji make a few runs but this guy needs to make an impression on a series. He should be our number one batter and far from it right now.

I was surprised Akila was left out in the first test and made an immediate impact in the second test and is surely lining up Herath's spot after November. Danushka made a name for himself but I see has managed to get himself in to trouble which is a real shame given the twin fifties.

Its great to get back to old ways of thumping visiting teams at home and this without our best batter and captain Chandi and this needs to continue. Next up England who will also have a few gremlins about spin with a lot of them not having played much in Asia and not sure who will partner Ali in the spin department.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
9 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.