D. Chameera
N. Pradeep

Other Party Members
K. Mendis*
J. Vandersay
S. Lakmal
S. Eranga

U19 Representative: C Asalanka*

*Paranavithana, Mendis and De Silva will compete for positions 2 and 7 in the batting line up. I'm assuming that K. Silva can also fulfil the reserve wicket keeping role as well as being a top order batsman. This would only be necessary if Chandimal was injured.

The 16th place reserved for an Under 19 player should be given to Charith Asalanka who clearly is an outstanding Test prospect and he could also be in line for a Test Debut at number 7 during the series.

English conditions strongly favour pace bowling and therefore Sri Lanka need to select 5 fast bowlers with Matthews just as an extra change bowling option. On a dry wicket Vandersay might come in to partner Herath in place of Pradeep or an extra batsman might be selected and Siriwardana, De Silva or Asalanka could back up Herath on a turning surface.

Tough tour for a Sri Lankan team in transition but the batting line up is potentially as good as England can field especially if Karunaratne, Silva, Chandimal and Matthews can find some early form. Herath is a better slow bowler than any of the English spinners but the real English advantage resides in their pace attack on home conditions. However, Prasad and Chameera might spring some surprises and trouble the English batsman on a wicket that is seaming.

I think (and hope) that Sri Lanka will perform better in the Test series than many other people believe that they are capable of doing at this point in time. Good luck to them.

1993 (not verified)
My Xi for first

My Xi for first test,
1.Dimuth Karunaratne
2.Dhananjaya De Silva
3.Tharanga Paranavithana Or Udara Jayasundara
4.Dinesh Chandimal
5.Angelo Mathews(c)
6.Kaushal Silva (Wk)
7.Milinda Siriwardana
8.Dhammika Prasad
9.Rangana Herath
10.Nuwan Pradeep
11.Suranga Lakaml or Shaminda Eranga

I will put Kaushal Silva to bat at No.6 as a wicket keeper batsment. If i'm not mistaken he was not a original opener when he start his career. I will also put Suranga/Eranga ahead of Chameera because i think in English Condition we will need bowlers who can swing the ball and i haven't seen Chameera swing the ball therefore i'll put either shaminda or suranga ahead of him.

Anonymous (not verified)
My Test Squad

My test squad

Playing XI at the moment for 1st test match

1. Dimuth Karunarathna
2. Kusal Mendis ( did a great job n NZ )
3. Kithruwan Vithanage
4. Dinesh Chandimal
5. Anjelo Mathews
6. Milinda Siriwardena
7. Dhananjaya De Silva
8. Rangana Herath
​9. Shaminda Eranga
10. Dushmantha Chameera
11. Suranga Lakmal

Other 4 members

12. Shehan Jayasuriya
13. Thisara Perera
14. Nuwan Pradeep
15. Jeffrey Vandersay
16. Kaushal Silva/Thirimanne ( Both were bigfails in past tours will not consider, they were not in NZ tour as well )

If players injured we can substitute

16. Danushka Gunathilake
17. Madhawa Warnapura
18. Tharindu Kaushal
​19. Asela Gunarathne
20. Kasun Rajitha

My ODI and T20 squad

1. TM Dilshan
2. Dilshan Munaweera
3. Kithruwan Vithanage
4. Dinesh Chandimal/Kapugedara
5. Anjelo Mathews
6. Milinda Siriwardena/Shehan Jaasuriya
7. Thisara Perera
8. Danushka Gunathilake as a finisher
​9. Shaminda Eranga
10. Dushmantha Chameera
11. Jeffrey Vandersay

Other 4 members

12. Suranga Lakmal
13. Lakshan Sandaken
14. Nuwan Pradeep
15. Binura Fernando
16. Kasun Rajitha

Enough is enough (not verified)
I really don't see the value

I really don't see the value addition of Chandimal... Only thing he has proven is that he is an investment with low returns. Remember, Kohli and Chandimal came to the picture in the era. When you look now, it's like comparing apples to oranges. We might as well get a proper wicket keeper batsman groomed in the form of Dickwella.

Anonymous (not verified)
Chandimal has done well in

Chandimal has done well in Test cricket. It would be seriously stupid to drop him.

User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Runs: 10
Chandimal is a class player

Chandimal is a class batsman and it would be insane to leave him out of the side. He is averaging 46 in Test Matches, which is better than other great batsmen like P. De Silva (43), Dilshan (41), Jayasuriya (40) and Attapatu (39). Of the current side, only Matthews (50) has a better average. By comparison Thirimanne, who has played in almost as many Tests as Chandimal, is averaging only 25.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 1335
My XI for the first test

My XI for the first test

1.Silva
2.Karunaratne
3.Mendis
4.Thirimanne
5.Mathews
6.Shanaka
7.Herath
8.Prasad / Lakmal
9.Siriwardana / Chameera
10.Eranga
11.Pradeep

last time when we won v eng we had only 1 spinner , so i don't mind if they pick chameera / Lakmal over siriwardana

(Last edited by SLCricket1 on May 15, 2016 - 12:41)
User is online Online
Runs: 3711
Starting 11

Warm up games done and not much to hold on to especially the bowling looks vulunerable as does the batting for that matter but nothing new here. So what is the starting eleven assuming its a normal early English wicket - what ever you do dont bat first! I think the Australians found that out last summer! Going on form from the two warm up games:
Dimuth
Kaushal
Mendis
Chandi
Anji
Siri (no form to show in England but he has performed well last year)
Shanaka (wild card based on runs and he can bowl)
Herath
Chameera (got hammered in both games but no point taking him to Eng and sitting on the bench)
Prasad (if unfit - Lakmal)
Eranga (could be Lakmal just picking Eranga)

User is online Online
Runs: 3711
Starting 11

Warm up games done and not much to hold on to especially the bowling looks vulunerable as does the batting for that matter but nothing new here. So what is the starting eleven assuming its a normal early English wicket - what ever you do dont bat first! I think the Australians found that out last summer! Going on form from the two warm up games:
Dimuth
Kaushal
Mendis
Chandi
Anji
Siri (no form to show in England but he has performed well last year)
Shanaka (wild card based on runs and he can bowl)
Herath
Chameera (got hammered in both games but no point taking him to Eng and sitting on the bench)
Prasad (if unfit - Lakmal)
Eranga (could be Lakmal just picking Eranga)

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 1335
Oops sorry I have missed to

Oops sorry I have missed to pick the wicket keeper , even though silva and mendis is capable of doing that job i doubt that SL management will decide to give them the gloves for the first test.. so tough luck thiri :P you are out and chandi comes in .

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
3 + 1 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.