4.Chandimal
5.Matthews
6.Siriwardana
7.Shanaka
8.Herath
9.Eranga
10.Lakmal or Chameera
11.Pradeep

Prasad is unfit so it might be a bit of a gamble to play Chameera on a wicket where swing bowling can be effective so they may select Lakmal instead.

User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline
Runs: 83
Where should the wicket keeper play : No 4 or 6/7?

I don't think Chandimal should be doing wicket keeping. If Chandi plays in top 4 then someone else should be behind the wicket.

1. Dimuth
2. Silva
3. Mendis
4. Chandi
5. Mathews
6. Dickwella (wk)
7. Dasun
8. Herath
9. Eranga
a playing 11 Lakmal / Pradeep

If top 6 can get us 300 runs then we can have some hope.
Can't expect a spin friendly pitch, so Siriwardane will have to sit out.

With recent performances Thiri really does not deserve a place. If Openers fail in this test then one could take a gamble and play Thiri as opening batsman.

User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 1335
re: my XI at first by the

re: my XI

at first by the looks of the bowlers stats in the practice game , my first choice was lakmal over chameera .. but one of the Anonymous user showed me this day 02 report " As for the pace attack, Chameera built up a good head of steam. His lack of control early on allowed Leicestershire openers Hill and Angus Robson to use the pace on the ball to time a few fours through cover and midwicket to get their innings started. But once Chameera settled into a groove, he was able to get extra bounce from a pitch that had started to keep low. Any edges he did find shot through the slips and went for four after landing short of the catchers, who seemed unwilling to position themselves further forward. " so it seems dushamntha was unlucky in that spell . if this report is accurate i don't mind dushamtha playing over lakmal , but both can play if siri not playing in the team

User offline. Last seen 18 min 34 sec ago. Offline
Runs: 3723
What a start and where is Milly?

One could not have asked for a better start and Shanak the hero from no where. He was selected for his batting I would have thought. At 50/5, we had the chance (again) to step on the throat but some how (again) we let it go. We are still in the drivers seat but I presume 275 will make Eng happy but that was such a chance to dent Eng on the first day of the series.

I cant understand why Siriwardena was dropped. He just came in to the side last year and made a few runs and got a few wickets (basically a god send) and we drop him after 4 tests! I am not suggesting we blindly stick to players but this guy I thought did enough to invest in. He looks a genuine batter who can bowl and we have been crying for such a player and we find him and we drop him despite making a couple of 50's and getting a few wickets in his first 4 tests. What are we expecting from these guys and yes we drop him for Thiri - seriously folks, I am not sure what is going on but this sounds crazy to me.

User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Runs: 130
Re: Where is Milly

Yeah while I agree that having Thiri in the team is just ridiculous, Siriwardana has been struggling with the bat across all formats for a few months, struggling nearly as bad as Thirimanne so I don't think we can play a No.6 who is only good as a part time bowler. Tough call really, but would rather have played an out of form Siri instead of Thiri since we at least get another bowler, but ideally Dickwella would have been a better choice in batting terms, or even (as unlikely as it is) Dhananjaya de Silva.

(Last edited by PraveenP on May 20, 2016 - 01:24)
Anonymous (not verified)
SLC request for summer tour

It is opportune time also for the ECB to consider the format for the countries coming for early tours to England. NZ Sri Lanka & WI are destined to eternal suffering with pitch & weather conditions hardly do any favours for British fair play. SL won all three formats touring winter last time & all these teams have had superb stars well worth of watching in the summer. ECB can consider, as the late teams play over three months, they can come early & play into the summer with the teams playing short tour come at the end, the opposite of present format. The long tour will have at least two Tests in the summer so they too have equal time playing under the sunny conditions. ECB is considering changes already with a point system, this is also a must, well worth considering at least, alternating their tours once in the summer & once in the spring. Pity on these stars, Brendon, Williamson, Gayle, Sanga Mahela who never saw or see any light playing in the summer. Hope the Boards in these countries take it up with the ECB who I'm sure will give an ear favourably.

Ranil Herath (not verified)
SLC request for summer tour

It is opportune time also for the ECB to consider the format for the countries coming for early tours to England. NZ Sri Lanka & WI are destined to eternal suffering with pitch & weather conditions hardly do any favours for British fair play. SL won all three formats touring winter last time & all these teams have had superb stars well worth of watching in the summer. ECB can consider, as the late teams play over three months, they can come early & play into the summer with the teams playing short tour come at the end, the opposite of present format. The long tour will have at least two Tests in the summer so they too have equal time playing under the sunny conditions. ECB is considering changes already with a point system, this is also a must, well worth considering at least, alternating their tours once in the summer & once in the spring. Pity on these stars, Brendon, Williamson, Gayle, Sanga Mahela who never saw or see any light playing in the summer. Hope the Boards in these countries take it up with the ECB who I'm sure will give an ear.

Ranil Herath (not verified)
Wonder any foreign batsman or

Wonder any foreign batsman or country would have survived under such difficult conditions Headingly known for against the two best exponents who knew how to exploit those conditions. However not fixing this Test at sunnier part in Lords deprived the public a competitive game.

This is a reason why the team that travels for 4/5 Tests should start the tour first so that they can recover & the series can become competitive. ECB should consider giving at least alternate tours in the summer to NZ, SL & WI, it is a shame for the stars in those countries are only left to struggle so. Do not forget England is the place any star would like to show his prowess & skills & this system is so unkind to them. Will the SLC get enough guts to request the ECB alone or jointly with NZ & WI for their next tour in the summer?

User offline. Last seen 18 min 34 sec ago. Offline
Runs: 3723
That was an early English summer nightmare!

Well that was as bad as it gets, atleast we hope so! As far as an English nightmare goes, that was it. The wicket was tailor made for the Englishman and we simply didnt have the skills to cope with it and not many other teams would have either. What other teams could have had is some quality bowling which would have made the game closer but that was always going to be a 3 day game and we just need to walk away acknowledging being out classed on unfamilar conditions and lets face it, the English bowling was unplayable. If this happened in Asia (unplayable wicket with the game finishing in 3 days) there would be load calls of doctored wickets etc but in England those things dont happen! I couldnt beleive how much the ball seamed and bounced from a good length. Some of Jimmy's deliveries were just plain unplayable - comming in on the angle and looping away off the seam, simply brilliant and unplayable.

Its unfair to find fault with the boys when faced with those conditions but we showed some very poor batting technique playing well away from the body in defense. Its due to growing up on the slower, lower wickets where you can follow the ball and play away from your body but its a problem when the ball is moving at pace. Both Karunarathnes dismissals was a case in point. He should have left both delieveries alone (another vital skill in Eng/Aus/SA) but having chosen to play, he played away from his body and in seaming conditions, you will pay for that.

Ironicaly I thought Thiri looked more convincing than most but was left with the tail. Mendis I thought was the star in a losing cause. Of concern was that we let England get to 300 on what was a 175 wicket. Need to write that one off (no different to taking teams to Galle and spinning them silly!) and say well done to England for exploiting home conditions to perfection and look ahead to the next which I understand is further north - yes even colder and more seam!

User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Runs: 130
ODI/ Limited overs bowling attack

Hey guys since we have a few days till the next test it just occurred to me that our bowling attack (and to an extent most of the team/squad) for the limited overs leg is a question mark.

Herath has retired from limited overs, Chameera is injured, Malinga is a resounding NO, Vandersay is injured as well, Prasad is injured too and I don't think the selectors will bother giving Kulasekara another run (I love the guy but his bowling is almost completely ineffective nowadays. Although given the lack of bowlers the selectors might be desperate enough).

So what do you think will be our bowling attack? Those left of our test attack, i.e Eranga, Pradeep etc. or will they give inexperienced, possibly unheard of guys a chance?

Personally I think they will use Eranga, (maybe not Pradeep an Lakmal) perhaps Kasun Rajitha or Binura Fernando will get a shot and for spinners they could go with Suraj Randiv or Lakshan Sandakan.

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
10 + 6 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.