What is the best Sri Lanka XI for 2019 World Cup?

7 replies [Last post]
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline
Top Contributor (click for details)
Runs: 3884

I think the team below is the strongest and these players must play all games from now upto the World Cup without any experimenting with selections (unless injuries occur).

Do you agree? Share your team too.

1. Kusal Perera

2. Upul Tharanga

3. Kusal Mendis

4. Angelo Mathews

5. Dinesh Chandimal

6. Ashan Priyanjan or Asela Gunaratne

7. Thisara Perera

8. Dasun Shanaka or Jeevan Mendis

9. Akila Dananjaya

10. Suranga Lakmal or Isuru Udana

11. Lasith Malinga

Runs: 1509
Best Team

Shortleg Ashan Priyanjan seriously?

This is the best squad

1. Dhanuska Gunathilaka
2. Kusal Mendis
3. Kusal Perera
4. Dhananjaya De Silva
5. Anjelo Mathews
6. Asela Gunarathna
7. Dasun Shanaka
8. Thisara Perera
9. Akila Dhananjaya
10. Suranga Lakmal
11. Nuwan Pradeep

Others

12. Dushmantha Chameera
13. Lahiru Kumara
14. Sadeera Samarawickrama
15. Jeewan Mendis

Runs: 1509
Back up players

16. Dinesh Chandimal
17. Niroshan Dickwella
18. Lasith Malinga
19. Jeffrey Vandersay
20. Jehan Daniel

Runs: 6
BEST SQUAD FOR THE 2019 WC

1.Danushka Gunathilaka( can be used as a part time bowling option)
2.Kusal Mendis
3.Kusal Perera
4.A.Mathews (C)
5.D.Chandimal
6.R.Silva/U.Tharanga ( would prefer silva more because of his stability in the middle overs)
7.T.Perera
8.A.Dananjaya
9.S.Lakmal
10.N.Pradeep ( hopefully he is in his top form and injury-free when the WC start)
11.L.Malinga ( having an experienced campaigner would be handy in difficult situations)

SUBS
12.D.Shanaka
13.U.Tharanga/R.Silva
14.D.De Silva ( backing for Danushka Gunathilaka)
15.D.Chameera
16.J.Vandersay

This would be a best team if Mathews also able to deliver 4/5 overs at the front, because of his decent economy in the powerplay.

User offline. Last seen 13 hours 13 min ago. Offline
Runs: 3723
Lets aim for a plan that may work...

....and no plan that includes Tharanga and Chandimal in the top order of a limited overs team will work. We cannot do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome when the rest of the world is moving. We need to go for a plan that has batters to chase 300+. They may not be successful now, but if we put in place now. they may be ready when the WC comes along. So lets get past Chandi and Upul and look to stroke makers - they are plenty of them, just pick them and stick to them.

Runs: 6
I agree with u. but aftr

I agree with u. but aftr Hathu taking over the position, we had seen some bright sparks in chandi's performance,Though he didn't get many runs,his stike rate has improved.with time he can improve in his game also.remember he is the leading run scorer in odi for srilanka in 2016.one horrible SA tour and selectors left him.That is not his fault.(the same thing happen D.De Silva too).And also if a newcomer comes he will take his time to get used to the environment,also we have less than 15 matches to be played before the WC.Selectors should have implemented this plan a year ago.Let's hope the selectors don't do the same mistake after this WC.

Anonymous (not verified)
My team...

My team barring injuries

1Mendis
2.Dickwella
3.Kusal Perera
4.Danajaya Silva/ Danushka
5.Mathews
6.Asela/Dasun Shanaka/Shehan Madushanka
7.Thisara
9.Akila
10.Chameera
11.Lakmal
12. Nishan Peiris
13.Vandersay
14.Pradeep
15.Sadeera

User offline. Last seen 3 days 22 hours ago. Offline
Runs: 488
Theres too many players in

Theres too many players in the current squad who will be dropped quickly if they fail to perform. I dont really see Chandimal in the side to be honest given his play style. I think Gunathilaka, Tharanga, Kusal Mendis and Dananjaya de silva make a good top order for our team. We also have kusal perera and Niroshan Dickwella who can take the place of anyone who isnt in good form. Mathews will either be our no. 4 or 5 batsman. When it comes to the allroumders its a difficult choice becuase we have Thisara who is a bit of a hit or miss player, Dasun Shanaka and Asela Gunaratne. My choice would be Shanaka if Gunaratne continues to have injury issues. Our choice of spinners are on the weak side because in the shortest format i think SL has the most inexperienced spin bowlers. Hopefully Akila Danajaya improves his consistency and holds a place in the team. I feel like the second spinner should be a wrist spinner due to the recent success of them in the shorter formats. Our usual go to fast bowlers like Lakmal and Pradeep are quite lackluster in my opinion. I think at least one of them should stay in the side for the sake of experience. Lakmal has better control but Pradeep is a better wicket taker. Hopefully Chameera can improve aswell. It will be interesting to see if SL tries to introduce that youngster who bowls like malinga

Post new comment

Note
All anonymous comments are moderated.
  • Avoid abusive remarks and personal attacks.
  • Avoid posting unrelated links.
  • Avoid vulgar or obscene language.
Already a member? Log-in now. Not a member? Sign up for a new account.
CAPTCHA
This step helps us prevent automated submissions from spammers.
3 + 2 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.